Thursday, November 5, 2009

good morning!

daylight savings this year has not been kind to me.  chris and i live on the east side of our building.  i absolutely love that we're on the east side of the building with the beautiful view of mountains and trees instead of the drowsy west side with a gross view of the parking lot.  but we have a number of large window/screen doors that let in plenty of light.  this was always a nice treat before.  it makes our home feel more cheerful.  and it makes it easier to wake up and get out of bed in the morning. 

but since the time change, it has been a little too easy to wake up.  monday morning i woke up with the question, "how did we fall asleep with the lights on?" and when i looked at the light and realized it was not a bulb giving off light, i shot straight up in my bed completely alarmed!  "how on earth did i sleep through my alarm?!?!"  "what time is it?!?!" to which the response was "oh, 6:00 am" ...fabulous.  only an hour and a half early.

first thing i did when i got off work on monday was to call mom (and dad).  lucky for me they actually stayed on the phone for an hour and a half!  (well, mom did... dad made a trip to the store or something somewhere in there)  although our conversation started out as "have you thought of birthday/christmas present ideas?"  it led to wanting blackout curtains for christmas, no, my birthday, no, i can't wait that long, help me find a way to construct makeshift curtains TONIGHT!

we discussed a number of options, and although dad was dead set on tin foil (i wasn't sure i had enough), i ended up going with...


hallelujah!

say good night to...

and good morning to...

it's not cruise-ship-perfectly-dark quality.  but it at least it kind of takes us back to pre daylight savings.  which for now will have to suffice.
_______________________________________________

mother,
i had originally said it was not worth the price of blackout curtains. after talking to a number of friends in my building also living on the east side, i might have to jump on their bandwagon.  y'know how these stanford people are smart like that.  surely they know when blackout curtains are worth it, and they have not been having trouble with daylight savings.

crafty emmy,
i heard it's super easy to make blackout curtains, or at least something to line my current curtains.  maybe you can work a deal with mom.

wonderful liza,
thanks for reading my blog.  and for calling me.  sorry i have been unavailable.  love you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm absolutely loving daylight savings time! i've gotten to work at or before 8:30 every day this week! (instead of the 9:30 routine I had gotten into).
I don't get why your windows are so bright in the morning if you're on the west side...doesn't the sun rise in the east?

Anonymous said...

Haha We had to get Adalie some Blackout curtains because the sun had definitely thrown off her schedule and I wasn't having that

Sara said...

Sadly, I'm a fan of DST.

I have to get up at 7am for class and there are days when I swear, if the sun hadn't been shining, I would NOT have gotten up.

I hope your sheets work, though!

Jeff said...

We need an update on how the curtains are working. Has the quality of your beauty sleep improved?

Jeff said...

Oh, and yes. I am a true and dedicated fan of your blog.

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Look at you all resourceful! Way to go! Hope it's been working out!