Wednesday, March 30, 2011

diagnose my child: part two

want to play a game?  it's called, name that spot.

don't want to play that game?  why don't you try another one.  it's called, what's wrong with my child?




last night i told honey i'd noticed some spots on baby and thought they were increasing.  his response?  "maybe it's chicken pox!"

well, the spots increased.  so after we ate lunch i called the doctor and talked to a phone nurse.  she said it sounded like chicken pox.  she talked to my doctor.  they both wanted me to bring baby in.  appointment scheduled for two hours later.

the appointment was held outside of the building in case my baby was contagious.  i was told to park in the urgent care parking so i wouldn't have to ride the elevator.  they told me to use an outside door so we wouldn't have to go through the building at all.  i rang the doorbell on the door.  they asked me if we could wait in our car since the "rash room" was currently occupied.  parking was sparse so i'd parked clear on the other side of the building.  i told them i'd just wait outside and they could come get me.  

the whole appointment was conducted outside while my baby sat in her carseat!  the nurse and baby's doctor came out to meet us and we undressed her, took her temp, talked details, etc.  all outside of the building.  like where people wait for their rides, except not at an entrance because heaven forbid should someone walk by my baby and pick up the pox.  not gonna lie, it felt just a little ghetto.  luckily the weather today was GORGEOUS.  like the epitome of perfect.

well, the spot placement is off for chicken pox.  that begins on the chest/face and branches out from there.  baby's spots started on her arms and have now spread to her chest and legs.  no back, no face.  they think it's hand, foot, and mouth.  or something else like that.  apparently the back of her throat is really red.  not sure how that fits in.

all day i kept wondering what nurse amanda would think about this and how nice it would be to have her here.  nurse amanda, are you out there?  what do you think about these spots?

today while i was doing a google image search for these spots, i gave my computer a virus.  not that i love my computer more than my child, but the computer virus was much scarier than the baby virus.  it was terrible and my christopher spent much of the afternoon fixing it.  i couldn't even do anything because it was stressing me out too much but thank goodness he talked with some stanford it guy and got things sorted out (HOPEFULLY).  

this is the second time this has happened recently.  does anyone have any suggestions to avoid this?  i use google chrome if that even matters.  are there any sort of settings i can do so that it won't allow me to go to sketchy websites?!?!  i NEED to be able to google.

6 comments:

sorham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sorham said...

Is your computer Mac or PC, and if PC is is vista or windows 7? What antivirus program do you run? Sorry about Abigail, no fun being sick! Just be thankful you were outside in warm weather and not in Des Moines, it's cold here!

For the Love of French said...

didn't i mention something about hand foot mouth when you first mentioned the spots? Evidently you an only get it once, so you wouldn't have to worry about her getting it again.

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

I'm here. But I can't see the picture!! sounds interesting to say the least. and yes, sort of ghetto, back-door medicine-ish. so secretive.

Unknown said...

Buy a Mac.

Marianne said...

did i tell you Lucy got chicken pox at 6 months? so did you ever fully diagnose her or did they just leave it as hand foot mouth and if so is it all gone? I sure hope so!!