Monday, August 22, 2011

my baby can walk

i've had a million people ask me when baby started walking.  "well, she doesn't yet.  she won't even stand on her own.  as soon as i let go, she just sits down."  if i had a dollar for every time i said that.  honestly, it's really well rehearsed now.  

today at the pool the lifeguard asked me how old she was and then how old she was when she started walking.  i gave her the same spiel.

we were out on a family walk this evening enjoying the thunderstorm pre-rain weather and stopped at jodi's for a bit.  she kept saying, "she is totally walking on her own.  she doesn't need you at all."  (well yeah, i knew that.  a few weeks ago i was having her walk from me to the sofa by herself.  it was like five steps.  but then she learned the drill and wouldn't put weight on her feet anymore because she knew i would just send her off walking and let go of her waist after two feet.  so i never bothered again.)

so tonight when we got home i said, "okay, enough of this.  our baby can walk, i know she can, let's see her do it!  go sit across the room and i'll send her over to you."  and then it happened.  barely wobbly, our baby walked perfectly the six feet from me to her wonderful father.  and then he sent her back to me.  we did this probably twenty times.  we didn't get very good video of it but here is a short clip so you get the idea.

my baby can walk.


regardless, i'm pretty sure she'll still be holding my finger until she leaves for college.  and i won't even be upset about it.  it's cute.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yaaaaay! Congratulations to baby girl! :)

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

It's such a sad/happy thing when they take off on their own. And yes, my child would NOT LET GO of my finger (she wasn't even using it for any leverage) for MONTHS. Then one morning she decided to venture off without me. I was ecstatic to see her on her own 2 feet for such long periods of time, but part of me was extremely sad because she didn't WANT my hand anymore. Oh the joys and heartaches of these little people!
Enjoy her, she's adorable!