Monday, December 21, 2015

The day I threw away my engagement ring

Thursday was honey's office Christmas party. Not the fancy dinner one, just the potluck party at the office where everyone hangs out and makes gingerbread houses out of graham crackers. 

I had surprise house guests come in the night before (WOOHOO Rebekah stork and company!) ao I was hanging out with them Thursday morning. And there was a pancake breakfast at Abigail's school that morning that honey took Abigail too. So that worked out great that I didn't have to take her. Anyway, all of this is to say that my morning was not typical at all. 

So I said goodbye to my wonderful guests and then Brady and Elizabeth and I picked up Abigail from school and went straight to honey's work. We had a blast eating food and candy and watching everyone give their final secret Santa gifts and hanging out. Finally the party started dying down and I took Elizabeth to honey's office to feed her. While I was in there I was all, where'd I leave my phone? Oh well, no big deal, I'm sure it's in the conference room or by my purse or something. And then two seconds later I happened to look at my hand and notice that my ring finger only had on my wedding band. NOT the engagement ring with diamonds. I immediately stopped feeding Elizabeth and went to the conference room to search the floors. Everything in there was already cleaned up and I told honey my ring was missing. He was all "well it's not in here, I already checked everything super well to make sure there was no candy or crumbs left behind. So we thought "well my morning was really atypical, maybe I only put on my wedding band and just didn't notice. I frequently don't wear my rings. I remembered that Sharon took a picture of Elizabeth's skinny jeans so I ran to her office and had her zoom in on the picture. I was wearing both rings in that picture. WHAT THE HECK DID I DO AFTER THAT?!?! Then I remembered that I washed my hands after is changed Elizabeth's diaper. I hoped it didn't go down the sink but thought there was a pretty good chance it came off when I was drying my hands. I remembered specifically that I used a paper towel to dry my hands since I didn't see the hand towel. Julie started rummaging through a big trash can while I started rummaging through a small one on the other side. Then I remembered that I definitely threw it away in that big trash can because I'd made a joke about the guy that throwaway his gingerbread house immediately after giving up. ; )  At that, Julie spread out the disposable table cloth and dumped out the entire contents of the large trash can and we started sorting through it, specifically unwrapping all the paper towels. It only took a minute before I saw my ring laying there on the edge of the table cloth/pile of trash. Hallelujah!!! I shouted that I found it and put it right on my finger. Julie went directly to wash her hands and then laughed when she saw that I didn't even wash my hands or my ring before reuniting the two. Nope. No way! I have a feeling I'll be wearing my ring even more infrequently now. That will have me scared for a while to come. ; ) 

No comments: