Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Catching up

Well, since it's been something like ten days since I've written, here's a lame catchup post. 

I got the flu. I still have a sore throat and cough from it. Nothing super noticeable though. It just seems normal now. ; )

I turned 30. I went to breakfast at chick fil a with Brady and Elizabeth and then went to lunch at salt grass with Klaudette and Kelsey and the kids. Chris and the kids and I drove to Laramie in the snow and watched mark's hockey game. They won and it was great. 

Saturday in Laramie was a blast. We had an awesome breakfast, hung out (me and Elizabeth)/ swam (everyone else) at the pool, saw the peanuts movie, ate lunch at mccallister's (or something like that... Panara-ish place), watched the byu football game in the hotel lobby, and went to marks other hockey game. They were losing badly and we left after the second period. We survived a white knuckle drive for the first 40 minutes with crazy blowing snow and the rest of the drive was fine. Got home around midnight and crashed. 

Sunday- so so so so so crazy tired. Sang in the choir, Elizabeth had another doll assail blowout during sacrament meeting, church was great, RS was awesome (Tracie taught on being grateful for miracles or something), chris had visits, I napped, I went to an emergency prep fireside, got kids to bed, and did five loads of laundry, cleaned, and packed until 5:30am. Brady woke up sometime in there and maybe Elizabeth? I can't remember. I was exhausted beyond belief and stumbled around in a daze. Got Abigail to school, Klaudette came to tend kids while I helped in Abigail's classroom. I realized I forgot to pack her a snack and apologized. She forgave me. Came home and Klaudette had changed Elizabeth's leaked out diaper. Whoops, thanks. I guess I should have changed that during the night. I kept trying to pack and realized that all the kids clothes I had laid out for Abigail, she had put away thinking it was clean laundry and that she was helping me out. So frustrating but so sweet. She and Brady also put away all of his clothes too. Kept frantically packing and getting everything ready. It's so much harder to pack during wintertime than summer. Also hard to be doing laundry (because I had to throw in another load) and pack instead of packing when everything is already clean and put away. 

Eventually we left for the airport. I was having so much travel and packing anxiety, I had horribly sweaty hands and was taking deep breaths the whole drive. Also almost started crying. Still not sure why it was so bad, but when we were almost there, our flight got delayed and I felt at ease. Also, Abigail wheeled Chris's bag the whole way from the car to the counter. She was that extra set of hands that we needed and offered without being asked. It was such a huge blessing and answer to my prayers. 

The airport was super empty like it was when we flew last year for thanksgiving. Our flight took off an hour late. The kids were all perfect on the flight. Super easy. We got in late. 12:30 maybe? Waited for our bags forever. Got home late. Slept in on Tuesday and then mom was looking at nursing homes. Afternoon was hanging out a bit. Chris took Marta downtown to join dad for the dikembe mutumbo reception and mom and the kids and I walked around the block. We ate and then left for the gardens. We drove two cars on fun back roads and neighborhoods and arrived at the same one as Walter and Liza. All of us started the fun with lights at the gardens and dad and chris joined later. It was wonderful weather. Crowded, but so fun. Got home late. Abigail crashed but Brady was wide awake until 12:30 or so? He wasn't tired or in the mood to sleep. Crazy kid. 

Brady woke up around 8:30. I woke up around 9:30, and Abigail slept until almost noon. Literally 11:50. Ha. All day was mom and dad on phone calls with the hospital doctors, social workers, hospice care, nursing home reps, etc. set up hospice care for papa as we were just told this morning to expect two to three weeks or less. I'm so glad to be here in Atlanta right now and that I didn't wait until Christmas to come. I'll see papa and granny when I go to the farm this weekend. 

Dad made the quick decision to go to the farm to help care for and transition papa and granny. It stole my heart how he recognized a need and jumped into action so quickly. He has his family gathered for thanksgiving and he left it all at the drop of a hat to care for his elderly in laws. Abigail cried when she hugged dad goodbye because she just wanted him to stay. It broke my heart but I told dad it just means that he needs to come visit us soon. ; ) Chris took the kids to the airport park this afternoon for a bit. Liza and the kids came over. Kids all played. Walter and bekah and the boys came over. We all hung out and ate dinner and made ice cream. It's not the thanksgiving I'd imagined at all. Not carefree. Not roasting marshmallows in the backyard or drinking dad's wassail and eating popcorn while we all gather in the den to play games. But we're spending time together, we're figuring out what is best for papa and granny, and we're all enjoying being with one another. On that note, I can never get enough of being with my mother. It's a good thing I met chris and got married, because otherwise, I'd totally be that thirty year old living with her parents. I just love it here and even tonight, I kept going back to talk to mom. Eventually she told me to go to bed because she wanted to get to sleep. Whoops. ; ) 

Tomorrow is thanksgiving! How did that happen already?!  Elizabeth will be six months old on Saturday. How did that happen already too?! Papa is 95 and finishing out his time with us. How did that happen already?!  

Everything is so wonderful but so fast. I'm just trying to soak it up before it passes me by. It's a struggle but I guess we just do the best we can. 

But seriously. Super speed. Everything is always in super speed. Which is a good thing when I can't wait to get to the farm! 

No comments: