Friday, March 18, 2016

Inspiring reading

I've been spending too much time lately reading about minimalism. I'm definitely a wannabe minimalist. My main problem is that I'm kind of a hoarder. I hate throwing stuff away, but insecurities (and the hassle of it all) prevent me from giving stuff away or finding a new home for it. But lately, I've really been focusing a lot of time on trying to figure out a way that I can more in a more simple direction.  It's my hyper focus at the moment. And I'm not sure if it's that or just coincidence, but I've had a lot more days of motivation  than I usually do. Those days always feel so good. 

I woke up and showered before the kids got ready. Bonus points that I dressed all of us in green (Abigail even had a gold bow) and gave Abigail a green snack (snap pea crisps). Last night I even put gold glitter in her leprechaun trap and this morning she was a little bit disappointed not to catch one, but pretty excited that he left a trail of gold dust. I'm not a super fun Pinterest mom, but I am trying to make little things a bit more fun (like how Abigail would have already had that green snack anyway). I also made it a point later that they were eating a green pear and using green spoons for their spaghetti. They also got green Easter egg cups, and when they weren't looking, I put a bit of green soap (I was cleaning out the reminder of the dish soap bottle and put it in the foaming dispenser) in the downstairs bathroom and Abigail thought it was so sneaky that the leprechaun turned our soap green but he wasn't that tricky because we know that it's him who did it. I've been really enjoying that girl lately and it feels really good. 

Today I did all the kid laundry start to finish. That used to be the norm for me, but these days, something always gets in the way of folding and putting it away. Not today though! 

After school, the kids and I ate eggs on toast for the first time in several days. It was delicious. Then Abigail colored forever in her sticker book and Brady and Elizabeth and I played in the playroom and threw the basketballs in the hoop at the same time. Abigail used her gold glitter to decorate her coloring pages and then counted out 20 of them and put them in her backpack to take them to each of her classmates tomorrow. I didn't want to squash her plan (and how well she is executing it), but I do wonder how annoyed her teacher will be and how this'll play out tomorrow. ; ) 

As a result of my minimalism reading, I'm going around my house and questioning all the spaces that aren't really working for me and it feels really good. Those cabinets that are annoyingly full of stuff so I can't fit anything else, but I only use one or two small things from there. It's amazing how full things are when they actually only contain a handful of things I regularly use or need. So the other day I did the drawer that holds my brush, straightener, curling wand, and blow dryer and finally removed that old brush that Abigail bit and broke, a diffuser I never ever use, and two old curling irons that don't work well on my hair. Today, I went through the drawer under the ovens, and both huge sections under our kitchen island. I also semi tackled our hotel soaps and a few other odds and ends (like condensing Vaseline... why does it come in tubs that just don't make sense?!). Presley came over again to play for a few hours which was great because the kids play better when she's here. They're all happy, they don't care about watching a movie, and they're better behaved to each other because I've told them how Presley gets so easily upset by contention. The day just went really well and tonight wasn't rushed at all getting ready for bed. Honey went to the march madness games today and got home around midnight and since I was organizing in the kitchen, I was actually awake when he got here! 

Anyway, it was a good day. But aside from any of the things I've listed, really it was just that I felt happy. I didn't have an overwhelming headache or backache or fatigue or laziness or impatience at my children. I had motivation and excitement for doing my everyday things and was able to maintain a standard that made me happy. Crossing my fingers for another day like this tomorrow. ; ) 

And as a random note... Elizabeth is still sick. It's like a super mild version of the croup that Brady had in panama. Hopefully she feels better soon. In the meantime, she's super restless while she sleeps and moves all over her crib. Which makes me nervous because she's fully swaddled still and already congested. So now I'm one of those parents that's paranoid about my kid suffocating in a crib bumper while she sleeps. On a happy note though, she's still "sleeping through the night" even though she's waking up all the time and squirming around in her crib. Maybe I could get some sleep if I wasn't spending all my time watching her on the monitor. ; )

No comments: