Friday, July 15, 2016

Abigail is six!

Today we celebrated my precious Abigail'a sixth birthday. I have no idea how I have a six year old now.

The day was great. I decorated her room last night with crepe paper to surprise her when she woke up this morning. Chris got her sugar cereal for breakfast (she's been loving fruit loops this week at the beach) and I hung out with her a bit on the deck of our row house talking to her about the day ahead. She mentioned that maybe she'd be surprised. That she and Brady and Chris would walk in and everyone would be hiding and they would just up and say "SURPRISE!" and it was so adorable to hear her describe it all. She was just being super cute. 

We got the kids ready and Chris took them over. We did the tide pool at the beach (she made friends with a bunch of girls next door that loved her and knew her by name) and then the pool at the beach house. Elizabeth was so super under the weather today so I felt like my whole day was constantly trying to help her, but Chris did a great job playing with Abigail and making all her dreams come true. 

I orchestrated the big surprise at lunch time and everyone popped up and yelled and cheered and sang happy birthday to her. She was super shy about it but u think she loved it. They even happened to serve watermelons with lunch which is her favorite food (along with pizza). Then we got together my family and opened presents on the deck. My parents gave her a wedding princess looking Barbie and a pink and purple ballerina Barbie and a frozen coloring and sticker book and even a frozen card that had stickers included in it. She was so excited about it. Chris and I gave her a pink fancy nightgown, skirt with bloomers attached (she loves those), pinkalicious sticker activity book, and pink ballet slippers. She was really happy with all of her presents and I loved giving them to her and watching her open everything. 

The rest of the day was more time on the beach and in the pool and watching whatever movie happened to be on tv (the kids have loved that robot movie this week) and playing with the girl cousins and just loving life. Dessert tonight was cheesecake for chase's birthday tomorrow so everyone sang and he blew out candles. Then Abigail came to me all "mom, where's the cake you made for me?" kinda worried and sad. So I got another cheesecake (there were at least five I think) and stuck a purple 6 candle  in it that liz had and brought it to Abigail. I was trying to ask her if she wanted everyone to sing to her but she just wanted to watch the movie going on so Liz brought me matches and lit the candle and Abigail just blew it out on the spot (we were standing in the middle of the area between the eating tables and sofa tables by the door) not even caring that no one was watching or asking her to make a wish or anything. I think she just thought it was on her birthday to do list and she needed to get it done. It was cute. She just blew her little candle right out (I do wish I had a picture of the non-moment but that would have defeated it) and was all about that movie. I brought her a slice and she loved it. And there were enough slices that chris maycock said she could have another. Abigail was thrilled and so was I. Chris and Liz really made it happen today when I really couldn't do it by myself with a sad Elizabeth. 

So, the day included food and desserts she loved at every meal, lots of time at the beach and pool, presents with family, a decorated room, and just a whole ton of movies and playtime. She said it was her best birthday ever. I think I might have to agree. It was awesome. Her only complaint was that  she had requested "just swimming" but we had her go to the beach and do other stuff other than just swimming in the pool. ; ) 

This week at the beach with Abigail has been so wonderful. First, I've barely had to parent her because Chris has been the one to take care of the kids while I take care of Elizabeth. And second, because she's been so super happy all the time that she's not been in a foul mood or disobedient or needing reprimanding or guidance like that... She just been a cute and happy girl that plays constantly with people around her and wants to "practice swimming" 24/7. Also, she thought it was so cool at the row house that she could go upstairs by herself and pour her own bowl of cereal (bowls and spoons are already set out on the table and Abigail likes her cereal dry so it doesn't need milk) and eat completely independent of a grown up. She'd come back downstairs all "I already ate."  I won't lie, I loved it and I may start doing something similar at home to encourage her independence. How is my tiny skinny baby already a tall and skinny six year old?!

I just really love that girl. 

No comments: