Friday, July 8, 2016

To Atlanta!

I hate blogger. I just wrote allllll the text to this post and of course it erased when I hit publish because it wanted me to sign in again or something. 

Honey's flight was at 6:40ish, ours at 7:30, so we left for the airport at 3:30 and parked in the longterm lot. Our kids love that because they think the shuttle bus is amazing. It was nice having honey around for security and getting to our gate. He mostly was taking calls and answering emails, but the kids and I still enjoyed his presence. And it was nice for me to be able to take the kids to the bathroom or to wash their hands or fill up sippy cups without always taking all three. 





Our flight left at 7:30 (of course before honey's delayed plane because he's got the worst luck and they were just boarding when we were taxiing. My plan for the kids was the same as last time we flew to Atlanta. We got on the plane and hung out (read instruction pamphlets, play with Elizabeth, look out the window, check out the southwest magazine) and then the kids got granola bars when we took off. That's so much easier for me than making them play the yawning game that they've grown very tired of. Once the granola bars were done, I got out paper and crayons and stickers. That's literally all I brought for them to do. I just stuck it in a little pencil pouch. So they did that and had their drinks and snacks. 


Abigail made one awesome creation and Brady only used five or six stickers and one crayon before he said he was done. We played the cheerio game (three Cheerios in my hand... Brady takes one, Abigail takes one, Elizabeth gets the last one and giggles about it, we all smile... Repeat fifty times) and then I think I took all the kids to the bathroom and then Abigail and brady fell right to sleep. They were sad I had no blankets or anything  (I packed my purse super light) but got over it quickly. They were both nodding all over the place and I had serious anxiety about bray getting a bloody nose or face from crashing into the arm rest. It was a true miracle it didn't happen. 

Everyone around us was so complimentary. I love that. The family next to us kept saying how cute Elizabeth was an the teenager started playing his fiddle/banjo/something when Brady commented on his guitar. The guy in front of them made a funny comment about "I was wondering how you were going to take them all to the bathroom but you did it!" And the guy sitting in front of me turned around immediately upon standing up and said "you are a wonderful mother and I think those are the most well behaved kids I have ever encountered on an airplane before!" The random words and acts of kindness just come out of the woodwork when I fly alone with my children. Everyone is so kind. 

The kids were exhausted when I woke them up. That family next to me offered to help carry them for me but I politely declined and just asked them not to judge me if I stole a wheelchair for them like I did last flight to Atlanta. 

It didn't last long before I had Elizabeth in the carrier, Brady on my hip, and Abigail crying because I couldn't hold her too. 

I stuck them in a wheel chair. ; ) 

And good thing because they're doing construction or something so we had to get off at T and walk to the far end of baggage claim. And then back to the beginning and then back to the end again and back to the original carousel. It was a goose chase trying to find our travel car seat (we'll need it in Utah) because the airport employees kept telling me the wrong thing and in the end... It was right there on the carousel with my baggage. Ugh. 

Mom picked us up. She's an angel for waking up to get us in the middle of the night. 

The kids slept in the car and walked straight upstairs to pass out in their beds.
Hallelujah we made it!!! 


This is my current travel outfit. The black shade blends with my black wrap carrier. The cardigan keeps me warmer and makes me look a little more put together by hiding the wrap. The scarf is the real winner though. I can nurse Elizabeth 100% discretely with no blanket or cover by just pulling down the scoop next of my shirt because of the perfect positioning of the scarf. It also provides a soft and comfy place for Elizabeth to rest her head when I'm carrying her. When I'm no longer nursing her, it won't matter, but right now, this is the most perfect outfit. My purse just had a onesie for Elizabeth, two sippies (one for the kids, one for Elizabeth), the diaper pack, wipes, snacks (granola bars and Cheerios), and the coloring pouch. It makes all the difference not bringing any sort of blanket for Elizabeth or drink for me. 

I have full confidence in flying with the three kids right now and I feel like it would take a pretty brutal experience to humble me to the point of scared. Hopefully I can keep it up so I'll be able to fly solo with four kids just fine as well. Whenever that time comes. 

No comments: