Monday, July 18, 2016

Atlanta

Saturday, we drove back to Atlanta from the beach. We left at 8:30, made a million and one potty stops at at least four McDonald's, and dropped honey at the airport at 3:30 for his 4:30 flight. As we dropped him off, I accidentally slammed my right thumb nail in the car door and spent the next 2.5 hours in some of the worst pain of my entire life. It was like my finger was in labor because the throbbing was as intense as the contractions I've felt during drug free childbirth. The pain stayed manageable for the last several hours of the day. Sunday, I could still feel my pulse in my thumb, and now, at the end of Monday, I can gently use it to type on my phone with minor discomfort. What a process. Anyway, Saturday evening, I wallowed in pain and self pity and also went to visit granny at the hospital (she went Thursday night because of an infection). 

Sunday was so busy, it felt like three days strung together. The kids and I went to church with mom (em and dad went to Brockett for his speaking assignment) and it was great. I loved seeing Tarin and Lynell and little Norma Evans. The kids did well going to primary. I had to bribe Brady with an "after church treat." Getting home, we had pizza and watermelon and a mini chocolate cake for Abigail's birthday lunch. Elizabeth was still felling crappy and feverish so she napped from about 1:30 to 6:30 or so. It was forever. We went to the hospital to visit granny. She opened her eyes much less than the night before, but still talked a little bit. I got home right at 5:30 for the hillier family video call. It was chris, Bri, Mark, and John were unable to make it so it was just a small little chat but still fun. Walter and bekah and the kids joined us for Sunday dinner and we ate a whole bunch of deliciousness at 6. Lasagna, peas, squash and zucchini, rolls with butter and jam, salad, jello jigglers, and probably more that I'm forgetting. We had magic cookie bars and Milky Way ice cream for dessert. We told bekah about the cabin and showed her pictures. We also talked about granny. Dad stayed home with all the kids (a new record for him... Six kids ages six and under) while the rest of us piled in Jeff's truck and  visited granny at the hospital. Granny kept her eyes closed even more than before and was even less responsive although she did mention a few things like "I didn't know Eliza smoked" and guessing I was Eliza and then Emily and guessing that my baby's name was Clara (that's Liza's) which was all nice to talk about. Mostly I just like to lay in her bed and cuddle and give her kisses.

Monday, mom and Em went to the hospital early while the kids and I slept in. Abigail cuddled with me and rubbed my back a bit and then played with Brady for a while when he woke up. Elizabeth and I woke up around 10:30. Em came home around noon and then I went to the hospital and just drove up and switched with mom. I stayed with granny from 12:30 til after 4. I was going to stay longer except that after about ten minutes of watching her sleep, I was ready to go. I can hang out and cuddle with granny all day long, but watching her sleep just tempts me to wake her up. So, I ate her lunch and then headed on my way. While I was there, Em took my kids on a fun outing to Costco at Abigail's request and then mom fed Elizabeth and Em put Elizabeth down for nap after they got home. I'm so thankful for having excellent care for my kids so I was able to spend the afternoon with granny. Walter came over tonight for dinner and he went to the hospital with mom and Em while I stayed home with the kids. Granny has been less responsive with each visit and will hopefully be discharged tomorrow to hospice care. I talked to her today about how I am eager for her to be with papa again and that I will miss her but think of her always... as usual. It pains me to see her body so limited and in pain. I am anxious for her to be whole again. 

Our plans right now are to leave for Utah on Sunday to be at the cabin next week. The next few weeks are a very unknown mystery and I'm just praying it will all unfold as it should. 

No comments: