Friday, November 11, 2011

the blind strike again


believe it or not. we had another gender mixup today. the sweet old woman sitting behind our booth during lunch was smiling at baby girl the entire meal. she paid and was leaving when she stopped by our table to tell us how nice our baby is. "HE WAS SOOOO GOOD AND WELL BEHAVED!" "HE IS SUCH A GOOD BOY!!!" "YES YOU ARE! YOU'RE A GOOD BOY!" none of us bothered to correct her. the funniest part was that much to my mother's dismay, my dad went so far as to go along with it, agreeing "yes, he is really cute. he did a great job sitting so nicely during lunch!"

apparently a pink sweater, pink shirt, pink boots, and ponytail are just not enough. i'm curious if this woman really just didn't notice all the pink or if she's just downright blind. she was alone so she either walked or drove herself so really we don't know. but my mom said she's positive the lady had to be completely blind.

oh my gosh it was hilarious.

3 comments:

Jared said...

Oh wow. She definitely does NOT look like a boy at all so they must be blind. Too funny! My boys have been mistaken for girls at times so maybe the general population is just a little confused?!

Jared said...

ha! Apparently I'm confused by my gender also because that comment was from Cherie, not Jared. Oops!

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

1. I love that your dad went along with it. Reminds me of Adam.
2. I think you could write a sign on them saying "this is a boy child" or "girl" and people STILL would get it wrong. I've noticed in general people mistake girls for boys often or assume babies are male. I guess less offensive than saying a boy looks like a girl?! And yes, you could do the head-to-toe pink it doesn't matter. At least she had a ponytail...that usually helps when they have hair. Oh well. Keeps life entertaining if nothing else. CL looks like a little girl now and people STILL ask if she's a boy. I gave up long ago.