Wednesday, November 16, 2011

learning new things








at story time today, this little girl started spinning around in circles! on purpose! without falling! it was amazing. where do kids learn how to do that stuff?

we've also conquered (well, "conquered" could be a bit generous) what does a cat say? "meow" and what does a dog say "woof woof woof." it's so cute.

and this deserves it's own post but i know i wouldn't ever get around to it, so it'll just get a small mention right here... my baby helps me clean! and i don't mean that "my baby helps me do laundry by unfolding all of the piles i've just folded." i mean if i tell her to put her toothbrush away, she does. if i tell her to put the tupperware back, she can do that too.

and this is one of my favorite experiences from the past few days...  in my bathroom, the bottom pull out drawer holds my straightener, blowdryer, and curling iron, in that order - from top to bottom. obviously... because when was the last time i ever used a curling iron?!?! so the yesterday after i showered, i plugged in my straightener and blowdryer and was drying my hair when i saw baby girl open that bottom pull out drawer. next thing i know, she's gone right around the corner and is attempting to plug the curling iron into the little lowdown outlet just outside of our bathroom!



it was adorable.  i watched her do that for the next few minutes while i dried my hair (for safety reasons and because i'm obsessed with my kid) and then could not believe my eyes when she picked it up, carried it into the bathroom, placed it in it's correct bottom pull out drawer, and then closed the drawer like it was no big deal.  if i hadn't seen this whole thing take place, i wouldn't have ever known that she'd even touched my curling iron!  seriously, it was pretty unbelievable to watch.  one of my prouder parenting moments.  everyone learns how to count and say their abc's, but i know far too many adults that never learn the insanely complex art of putting something back where it belongs/you found it.  this is it folks.  real valuable genuine life lessons.  i love it.  it makes my heart pitter patter every time she puts her books away, her clothes in the hamper, a crumb/tissue/scrap piece of paper in the trash... without me even asking or mentioning it.  i love this kid.

but really... i can't get over how fast she's learning.  every single day i think about what karen said in her comment about one of baby girl's talking videos.


and i totally see it happening.  the way she says the same jumble of words sounding like "hereyago" every time she hands me something or how she'll repeat "oh gosh" sometimes when i say it with genuine surprise in my voice.  it is happening so so fast and every day i experience that same panic attack about not being able to physically or emotionally soak up and remember and cherish every second of it all like i would like to.  that's when i have to rely on the fact that parenthood is for all eternity.  thank goodness for that.

1 comment:

Ricci said...

Carrie, you're adorable! Your posts make me so happy :)