Thursday, May 26, 2016

Sleeping all day

Yesterday, Elizabeth was fine. Totally normal. But then she had a hard time going to sleep so I gave her a binky. That's not terribly uncommon. But then she woke up like 45 minutes later and was crying. That's super unusual. Even more unusual is that when I went to comfort her, she wasn't being comforted. She would be completely quiet and lay her head on my chest... For about five seconds. And then sit up and cry for five seconds. Then on my chest again and back up again. Every few seconds. It was the weirdest thing. I finally got her down and even then, watched her on the monitor and saw that it took her a while to settle down and fall asleep. With a binky! That doesn't happen. Then she woke up around 1:30 and did the same thing on my chest with being quiet and crying. I don't know how long it lasted because I was half asleep but I got her in her crib only to have her start crying again a few minutes later. So I turned the sound on the video monitor off (so it wouldn't wake Christopher) and just stayed in my bed listening to her cry upstairs. My plan was for me to kinda monitor her that way except that I think I fell asleep almost instantly. Whoops. And I didn't wake up til I heard her at 7am. I nursed her and changed her diaper and put her back in bed with a binky. She does better these days with just one afternoon nap (and no morning nap) but it requires that she sleeps in a bit so that she's not awake all day and exhausted. I figured she'd wake up between 11 and noon. Well, I saw her wake up or move around quite a bit but she never sat up and stayed awake. 

She slept all day. 

Literally. 

Finally at 6:30pm, almost 12 hours after putting her in her crib, honey and I went in and woke her up for the day. So crazy. I'm trying to think if I've had a kid do this before. I think so but can't remember the details. But seriously. She slept the entire day. 

So we all hung out together as a family on the floor of her room and then we got Abigail and Brady ready for bed and I took Elizabeth downstairs to feed her real food. Then the three of us watched the last few minutes of game seven (the Penguins won... They're going to the Stanley cup playoffs against the Sharks) and I put her back to bed around 9:30. She was fine for a while but then cried and struggled to fall asleep so I gave her a binky and she passed out. 

Not sure what the madness is about with her having a rough night (well, for her) and then sleeping all day. She's getting two teeth in right now (the one to the right of her two top teeth was already coming down when I got back in town last Thursday, and the one to the right of her two bottom teeth just broke through a day or so ago) and I also wonder if she has a bit of the cold that Abigail and Brady have. Although neither of them feel sick, they just know they have a runny nose. Either way, I'm a firm believer that when a kid seems to be worn out and need extra sleep, I throw the schedule out the window and let them sleep as much as they want. I think it's the body's best way to help fix pretty much anything. Sleep is a magical thing. 

Crossing my fingers that Elizabeth has a better night tonight and is feeling good as new tomorrow! It's her last day as a zero year old! 

No comments: