Thursday, May 5, 2016

Nine years

5.4.16

Nine years is a long time, but yet, it has passed by so fast. As chris said, this is the first anniversary we've had where it actually feels like we've been married a long time. Like 8 years still didn't seem like very much, but 9 years happens and we're all "holy cow, how have we already been married so long?!" 

I feel like our marriage keeps getting better with time. It's probably more me than anything else, but I'm continually getting more comfortable with having something that works for us, even though it's not really what works for other people. I don't know how to explain it in a concise way, but there are a lot of ways that we don't fit a standard mold and I used to think that was something we needed to work on so our marriage could be better. Now I just understand and appreciate that something works for us... Even if it's a little unconventional. 

I used to think that our lack of communication meant something terrible about our marriage... Now I understand that it's just our style. I was in Atlanta until Tuesday night. I had no clue that my honey was actually in Nebraska from Monday morning until Tuesday evening. Did it matter? Nope. 

One day on my trip, I noticed that Christopher and I had had zero communication that day. And it was almost midnight. Who cares? We were both just really busy. 

The kids and I were out of town for 13 days. My Christopher and I had two phone conversations. One I don't even remember... My phone says it was 4 minutes. 

We're not big on getting gifts for each other. We are really good at getting something we were already planning on and then saying its for a birthday/valentines/anniversary. I requested nothing for Valentine's Day. Honey honored that and then a few days later bought plane tickets for the kids and me to go to Georgia for almost two weeks. So he said "happy valentines!" and I said "best valentines gift ever!" Even though it had nothing to do with Valentine's Day. 

My standard gift to him for anything is a thoughtful card and a pack of chocolate twizzlers. 

We agree on the stuff that matters, but personilty wise, we are very, very different from one another. I feel like over the years, we've grown closer to one another and have learned to meet in the middle. 

I used to think that if he fell asleep without saying I love you then he was rude and our relationship must not be that great. I've learned that I just have a very sleepy husband that frequently wakes up at 5am and is struggling to stay awake by 8pm. 

All of this looks so painfully obvious when it's written in black and white, but it has taken me a lot of years to learn.  Nine, remember?! 

So, for my posterity, I just wanted to take a minute to write down my random thoughts of gratitude for my wonderful husband and our nine years of marriage. 

I'm excited for many, many more to come! 


I told my honey that instead of getting a babysitter and going out to eat, that I would rather spend the night together as a family since it had been two full weeks. 

We decided to go to Texas Roadhouse for dinner (because any night where I don't need to cook is a good night) and then eat dessert together after the kids were in bed. So honey came home and surprised me with roses and cheesecake (my favorite) and, wait for it, southern crunch butter pecan ice cream. I didn't even need to taste it, it made me so happy. 

And I still haven't tasted it because we were so full and so tired. So honey turned on some King of queens and was asleep before I even finished brushing my teeth. ; ) And when I woke up in the morning I realized that I'd forgotten to even give him the chocolate twizzlers! 

If that anniversary celebrating doesn't just sum up our style, I don't know what does. 

No comments: