Sunday, May 22, 2016

The streak continues

We moved into our ward five years ago. I can't believe it's been that long, but my calendar confirms that's the case. I was called to be the ward music person and conduct the music in sacrament meeting. I was also called to be on the compassionate service committee.  Chris was called to be the ward clerk. Six months later I was called to be young women's president. Less than two years later, I was released from my calling (and Chris from his) and Christopher was called to be the elders quorum president. I was called into the welcoming committee for several months and then as the visiting teaching coordinator. But Chris stayed elders quorum president. If you're keeping track, in our five years in this ward, I've had a million callings and Chris has only had two. What's funny about his two callings though is that he's been a part of the ward council. For five years straight. That's a really long time to be on the ward council. In our ward, he's by far the longest standing ward council member. As he put it, "I've seen people come and go and then come again because it's been that long."  

When we were in the Bahamas last weekend, we both had our phones on airplane mode. When we returned, we both had voicemails from a guy trying to contact Chris. Normally I don't get voicemails for people trying to get in touch with him, but I made sure he knew and then didn't think anything about it. Until he told me that we had a meeting with our stake president at 9am Saturday at our home. That's a major red flag. Because most things aren't time sensitive enough for the stake president to come to your home on a Saturday morning. Chris thought he might be getting a seminary teacher calling. I think that was just wishful thinking because he would love that calling and be so good at it, but I told him no way because he travels too much and that's a serious enough calling where they need you there consistently. So we dropped it. We couldn't think of any likely calling. We thought maybe stake young men's counselor, but even that didn't seem likely because of the timing. 

Well, Saturday morning happened. I love our stake president. His wife was Abigail's preschool teacher. Their family is super close with the Hillier and I remember going bowling with them when I came to visit Colorado when Chris and I were dating. Anyway, he released Chris as elders quorum president. Chris talked about how his calling had taught him about ministering and priesthood keys. I talked about how our family had been so richly blessed as Chris served in this calling and that things that should have been difficult, just weren't. So many burdens were made light. We read scriptures about the calling of high priests and before I knew it, he extended a new calling to my Christopher. First counselor in the bishopric. 

Chris and I haven't really talked about it at all. I'm sure he's got enough in his head right now, and for me, I'd like to live in denial for a while. But the part we did laugh about... "I've been a part of the ward council for five years with no end in sight. Maybe eventually I can beat my testimony at church and tell everyone how grateful I am to have been a part of the ward council these last nine years or so."  Ha. My honey. That guy can sure make me laugh. 

The streak lives on. 

No comments: