Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Full day first grade

This full day school thing is super great so far. All three days of it. Abigail enjoys it, I have so much time in the day without having to be home by noon to pick her up, the two kid time and one on one time with Brady is amazing, and Abigail isn't bored when she gets home because there's less time to kill before bed. 

I was still in Georgia on Monday, so Tuesday was my first day with Abigail in school all day. Brady was so insanely polite and adorable and funny. It didn't feel like parenting, just hanging out. We read books a bit in bed until Elizabeth woke up and then Brady started asking to go to the pool. So away we went! 

We were almost the only people at the pool and then when those people left, we actually were the only ones because there's no lifeguard on duty until after school gets out. But luckily, my friend Janel had texted me just a bit earlier saying that she was headed to the pool at one and would I like to come. I texted back "perfect! We're already here! See you soon!"  That's called good timing. Little did I know that Janel also invited Sarah and Shannon. And Sarah had also invited Laura, so really, it just turned into a big party and I didn't even have to worry about leaving to get abigail from school or anything. We stayed til 3 or something and still had time to put Elizabeth down for nap and Brady and me to take a shower before it was time to get abigail. 

This morning, I dropped Abigail at school and then got the kids ready and went through the drive through at chick fil a for our "free breakfast entree every Wednesday in August" thing. It was a chicken biscuit this time and we got three. We ran to sprouts super fast for double ad Wednesday and to use the $5 off coupon that was set to expire and I got sooooo much produce for only $30. We've already eaten several pounds of grapes. They're delish. 

Also, Elizabeth reached a super awesome milestone that she can eat whole grapes now! I used to bite them in half and eat part and give her the rest. Or I'd get a large grape and let her take bites. Today I just watched her take bites to feed herself several grapes and felt comfortable enough with just tossing them on her tray. But then the kids started putting whole grapes in her mouth and she was 100% competent so I realized that maybe I need to not baby her so much. She's good as gold. Also, she eats so much. 

So after sprouts, we hurried home and Syndee and YeunNam got here while I was unloading groceries. I got the kids set up eating in the kitchen and we started our vt meeting in Chris's office. After they finished eating, I put a show on for Brady and just let Elizabeth crawl around and wander. It all went really well for a two hour meeting. 

I got Elizabeth down for a nap around one and soon after, Brady and I cuddled in my bed to read books. I set two alarms to make sure I woke up in time to get Abigail. And I was already dressed cute and had makeup and hair curled. I was feeling accomplished. 

And then I was humbled. I woke up to my phone ringing but didn't get it in time. A minute later, Chris called me all "where are you?!" I'd briefly looked at my watch but assumed it was 3:15, not really seeing the hour. I knew I fell asleep by 2:30 and I knew it couldn't be after 4 because my alarms hadn't gone off. So I told him I was at home and why was he asking "the school is calling wondering what to do with Abigail."  What? Why?  "Because school is out and she needs to be picked up."  WHAT?!?! Yikes. Thank goodness it's so close because we were there within minutes. But still ugh. I had everything all planned out! I did eventually figure out why my alarms hadn't woken me up. When I set my alarms, I always just go with the default sound and never check it. This time, somehow the default sound was set to "none" so the alarm showed up on my phone screen but was completely silent. Ugh. Anyway, the lady at school that brought Abigail out was super happy and bubbly and wouldn't even listen to my apologies because she was all "no problem!" about it. And I'm glad Abigail didn't care at all. Whew! 

The rest of the afternoon was just trying to survive stuff. Abigail's attitude, Abigail and Brady not getting along, trying to keep everything running smoothly when dishes are piling up and the floor is covered in crumbs... Y'know. Life. 

Aside from sleeping through Abigail'a pick up time, it was a good day. I really am loving full day school right now. I think I love very most though that 4:00 is so much of an easier pickup time than 12:10 when I'm rushing to get grumpy kids fed and a tired baby down for nap.

I love that abigail is loving school. She likes going all day and enjoys her classmates and her teacher and everything about full day first grade. I know she doesn't like anything academic (even whines about reading pinkalicious reading books) but she's somehow taking delight in it anyway. 

I'm ridiculously tired so I'm off to bed. I've got a looooong list of stuff to tackle tomorrow. 

No comments: