Friday, August 26, 2016

Two new discoveries

This past week I have learned about two wonderful little tips/tricks that I plan to use from this time forward whenever necessary. 

My first happy discovery was when I was googling to figure out how to clean my textured shower floor in my master bath. It gets grime stuck on and it seems like no amount of scrubbing or chemical can take it off. So even though it's been sanitized, it still looks horrible. Well in my googling, I came across a number of people singing the praises of WD-40 to life the grime. I have a bottle of chain lube (recommended to me years ago by the Walmart guy who said it was way better than wd40) that I retrieved from the garage with no problem and within minutes and very little scrubbing effort, I was seeing bright white shower floor! It was amazing! The only annoying part is that you have to scrub over it after to remove the slickness (I used liquid dish soap), but it was still super easy. Hallelujah! My shower cleaning experience will never be the same! 

My other happy discovery was today when I was doing yard work and playing soccer with Brady. At one point, I was kneeling on the ground and trimming a bush when I noticed a yellow jacket land on my wrist. I waited for him to fly away and was just slowly moving my hand away when he stung me and flew off. I don't know if it was a lesser of a sting or if I'd just remember stings hurting worse (especially after experience shutting my thumb in the car door which was some of the worst pain I've ever experienced), but it just felt like a pinch at first like when you get a shot at the doctor but then it started to hurt worse with time. I left everything and took Brady inside (because when I got stung, I happened to look down and notice a little swarm of them under the rock ledge right next to where I was kneeling) and was noticing that the area had a defined little spot where I was stung and it was getting a little swollen eyes with surrounding redness), remembering that Charees recently told her daughter cosette that lavender oil worked instantly for their family friend, I went to my bathroom and applied some to the spot. It literally worked within seconds to remove the pain conpletely. I could still feel a weird tingling, but 15 minutes or so later, I applied another dab of the lavender oil and the pain was gone. I have no redness, no swelling, no sting mark... nothing. I told Chris tonight at dinner that we needed to get traps because I'd gotten a sting and when I tried to show him, there was literally nothing there to show... I just pointed to the spot where it used to be. Now I'm not as worried about one of my kids getting stung because I know just what to do to take the pain away. I sent mom a text a short while later thanking her for giving me that lavender oil (she got it for me to help with my headaches, especially while pregnant) and keep thinking how thankful I am for this little series of events. That I'd heard Charees say that lavender oil works in stings... That I actually had it on hand and close by. And that it actually worked! And instantly! A second hallelujah for that! 

So those are my two happiest discoveries as of late. 

Anyone have any happy discoveries of their own to share? I'm all ears. 

No comments: