Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Afterthought

It's sad, but this little blog of mine has quickly become an afterthought. I'm hoping that when school gets into full swing (it hasn't started yet), then I can get back to some normal schedule with my life and maybe even find time to blog again! I mean, Abigail will be in full day first grade so I'll have more time to myself than what I've had in a long time. 

We got back from Utah on Saturday and I've just been busy unpacking and doing laundry and putting stuff away since then. Right now I just have a mess on my kitchen counter of Abigail's piles of drawing/coloring stuff. She's obsessed with coloring and insists on saving all of her masterpieces to hand out to her friends. Today we all piled in the car to drop off her works of art to several friends in the ward and neighborhood. She had 31 things she wanted to hand out so I had her choose six friends and they each got five things. But even after that, my kitchen counter is full. She is definitely the creative, free spirited, artistic type. 

I leave Thursday night with Elizabeth on a red eye to Atlanta. Grandmother's funeral is Saturday. I was missing her so much this weekend, but Sunday afternoon I had an epic 3.5 hour nap (I could NOT wake up... I've been getting so much sleep since I got home but have been so insanely exhausted. Like my body is catching up from a month of only getting 5 hours of sleep a night) and at the end of it was dreaming that granny was alive and well and was just hanging out at an assisted living place and loving life and I remember I went to help her get up or situate her shirt or something and that she was just fine. I also remember something like "people are going to ask about how she's alive now when she's been gone for three days" and thinking about how her return was only temporary. I'm not going to pretend to interpret anything from it, but I will say that my dreams are frequently very real feeling and this was no exception. That dream has given me such a feeling of comfort and security and has taken away the loneliness I had been feeling. Just spending that bit of time in my dream with granny. And that her body was whole and without pain. That I was there for her and she let me help her but she didn't actually need me. I woke up feeling like she was still alive and with me. And I still feel that way. I felt like she was visiting me for a time and I just cross my fingers that I'll be privileged like that again.  

Brady has been taking naps again. He just starts to get super cuddly around 1:30 or so and I have him lay down and then he's just out. It makes it harder for him to go to a keep at night but right now that's worth it because he is a whiny beast when he's tired and he's just a really cool kid when he's feeling okay. Also, when Abigail is playing at Presley's and Brady and Elizabeth are both napping, I have a bit of time to myself and I can feel my sanity beginning to creep back into my life. ; ) 

We went to Texas Roadhouse tonight at my request. I was really missing that place. 

The kids and I all showered tonight. Great since we're planning on going to the pool in the morning. Somehow that always happens. 

Abigail has back to school night on Thursday and starts school on Monday. Summer was way too short. I feel like it just started. I also feel like it should be at least three months. Also, after Brady begging to go to school all of last year, he's been telling me lately that he would prefer to stay home with Elizabeth and me. There's still time for him to decide, but he's seeking pretty firm about it. I wonder if he'll change his mind when he sees Abigail start school. Part of me wonders if he wanted to go to school last year because he was bored at home but now he doesn't want to go to school because he realizes that he has Elizabeth at home to play with. Brady and Elizabeth really love each other. 

K. I'm off to sleep. Honey and I made a goal a few days ago to be in bed by 9:30 each night. We haven't exactly been succeeding, but we're doing pretty well with it. Except now I just need to work on the going to sleep part of it. 

I hope I have some good dreams tonight. Maybe granny can come visit me again. 








Ps- I transplanted this decorative grass last year the weekend of Elizabeth's baby blessing and it looked great for a few days until it died. But I kept it there, dead, all winter because it blended in with everything else that was dead. But this summer, everything turned green and it was obvious again that my ornamental grass was dead. I've been meaning to pull it out but haven't because I don't have anything to put in its place. Well, tonight I went over to check on it and imagine my surprise that it has started to grow around the dead! Mother, are you as shoved as I am?! I'm so excited. 

That's a result of patience. But mostly laziness. ; ) I've always considered myself a luckier than average person and this plant growing is just one of those little things that reminds me of that. Keep growing little grass! 

No comments: