Friday, August 19, 2016

It's Friday

And just like that, we're already two weeks into the school year. 

Wednesday, I woke Elizabeth up so we could hurry to get our free chick fil a and then stop by sprouts and get back home by 10:15 to get visit taught so I would be done in time to do my own visiting teaching at 11. 

Yesterday and today, Elizabeth has been awake by 7:45 when I've woken up so I've made it a point to get out and run errands. Yesterday we did Walmart and I left in a bad mood. For whatever reason, I can not make a quick trip to Walmart. Even if I only need one thing. I just want to buy everything because it's cheap and easy. When I go to target, I have no problem walking out empty handed. Anyway, I had to correct several things at the register and still I had to go back today because they charged me full price for something that should have only been three dollars. And a makeup powder thing I got was cracked. I need to stop shopping there like how I quit Facebook. I know my lack of self control and I need to start accommodating that by staying away. 

So today we went to American furniture warehouse to check out sofas again before I order them and then we went by the library to get a few things on hold and then a few things I just couldn't resist (I also have zero control at the library but luckily everything is free and the 99 item limit keeps me in check), and to the Walmart customer service desk and back home for eggs and naps. 

I made Brady take a nap with me upstairs in the guest room after we'd read some books. Of course I didn't sleep thaaaat soundly because I'm forever afraid of sleeping through Abigail's pickup time again, but it was still a much needed nap for both of us. The past several days, I've been walking around like a zombie from 1-4 trying to say awake. The nap today was great. Even though Brady probably won't fall asleep til 10. I'm laying with him still and its 9:12. 

Tonight I actually made dinner. It was this garlic butter shrimp pasta. I can't link to it on my phone but here's the web address. It was delightful and I'm excited to make it again. http://damndelicious.net/2015/03/13/garlic-butter-shrimp-pasta/
We ate the whole thing and the kids were literally giddy about it. They love shrimp and I never cook with it because I hate raw meat, especially with seafood. But costco's cooked, frozen shrimp made all our dreams come true. I actually followed the recipe too!  Except for using slightly less butter, frozen cooked shrimp instead of raw fresh shrimp, and spinach instead of arugula. I served it with a huge bowl of fresh peaches and called it dinner. The first time I make any new fish, it's a huge stretch for me to think about doing any sides or extras, so peaches it was. Anyway, I highly recommend this recipe and I'm excited to try it with chicken sometime too. 

Elizabeth walked with her little walker toy for the first time today. I know she probably could have started it a while ago but I just didn't get around to it til tonight. She's good at it but isn't in love with it. Maybe that'll come with time. I just keep thinking of the hours and hours I spent with Abigail and her walker in our tiny Stanford apartment and how I was wishing for more floor space because I had to turn it around every six feet. Now I have all the space in the world and a baby content to stay a baby. ; ) 

Speaking of that. I think we may be done nursing. I had her to once a day when we were most recently in Atlanta and then every other night for a week after we got back and then I actually didn't nurse her for several days until I made a conscious effort to nurse her this evening after dinner. I emotionally prepared myself that it was probably the last time for us. This is when I start to get crazy wishing for a new baby to nurse. It's okay though. We had it good but it's just time. Now I just need to start being better at remembering to give her milk during the day... I'm terrible at that. 

So, Abigail is still living school. We're in a good routine after school of going through her schoolwork together (and any papers sent home) and finishing any that didn't get done (it's not required but I know she can use the extra practice) and putting away shoes and lunchbox and backpack. School gets out at 4 and today we were done by 4:30. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that we can keep it up. Abigail is thrilled that tomorrow is Saturday and "I can do whatever I want the whole day!" She's a fun kid. She's also acting more grown up and I'm loving that. She's rising to challenges. Like tonight she cleaned up toys and messes and cleared off the kitchen table and set the table for dinner and loved that she was doing it all. 

Brady is still so sweet and cuddly to me and to Elizabeth although I've been having to give him more frequent reminders that his love is a bit too aggressive for Elizabeth. It's hard for him but he's learning. He loves reading books with me. Why he doesn't care about story time at the library, I'm not sure... But one on one, we read until I fall asleep or tell him I have other things to do. Tonight his last request was "mom, will you read to me when we wake up in the morning?"  I'm so excited for it. Especially since I have Chris to take care of the other kids for me. Just kidding. I know Abigail will be right by my side too. Those kids and reading. I think they love it as much or even more than I do. 

And dearest little Elizabeth. She's so sweet. She's started to wiggle to get out of my arms! She did it at Walmart today  but I wouldn't put her down and she got so upset about it! She's growing up. Every so slowly. ; ) She still loves eating with her whole heart and really likes more everything, especially cherry tomatoes lately, but not really carrots. I had to hide those in her bites of oatmeal this morning. ; ) She goes to sleep great at night. Will sometimes just fuss for a minute but has stopped by the time I shut her door. And she sleeps all night. Last night Brady ended up in my bed twice (he's so sneaky that he purposely doesn't wake me up... He just slides in next to me and I don't even know it until I'm rolling over on him), but my girls... They're OUT. 

So, that's the report for today. I'm excited for this weekend. 



No comments: