Monday, February 20, 2017

Presidents' Day

Having my parents here is a dream. I'm so sad that we have less than 24 hours. I'm going to cry myself to sleep when they leave. But let's just celebrate today. 

We had a somewhat slow morning because I struggle to pull myself out of bed each morning. Mom and dad and Chris fed the kids and dad was taking Abigail and Brady on a walk by the time I even walked out of my room. 

We went to castle wood canyon state park. The weather was perfection. We stopped at this little lookout point and then, instead of turning back to the car, we just kept walking. Walking on a paved trail and then a two mile dirt trail loop. Chris was wonderful to run ahead and grab the car for us at the end because the kids were tired and hungry. I'd left our backpack of snacks in the car because I thought we were just going to stop at the lookout point. Whoops. 

So at the end of our final trail, there happened to be a playground and picnic tables! And Chris brought us our food and water! It was beyond perfect. We left around 1:30 to head home. We'd hiked for several hours. 

Getting home, I gathered library stuff to return and put Elizabeth down for nap. The kids went potty and then Chris and dad took the kids to return library materials and do the ice skating ribbon. But, the sun was so strong and the weather so warm that half of it was closed due to slushy ice. Ha. So they went to rocket fizz and o'brien park instead. Meanwhile at home, mom and I went through bins of clothes in the basement... That I should have gotten rid of years ago. 

We woke Elizabeth up at 4:40 or so and all hopped in the car with everyone who'd come home to pick us up. We sat at our usual booth at Texas Roadhouse. I think we always end up sitting there when mom and dad come to visit. Our food was great as usual and the kids all god ice cream because it was kids night. And Abigail got a balloon princess crown and Brady got the most spectacular red and orange balloon dragon. It was seriously impressive. 

After, we went back to the skate ribbon. Mom and I stayed in the car with Elizabeth and just watched, which was a lot of fun. Chris looks so comfortable and natural and the kids were adorable skating around, especially Brady. Mom and I were just laughing every time he came around. His tiny little legs. Soooo cute. The best was when he climbed in the car afterward and was all "did you see how great I looked?!! It was sooo much fun!!!" Sometimes, I could just eat him up. 

We got home around 7:45 and were all so tired. Brady got a bath, Abigail got a shower, and Elizabeth got pj's. They were all exhausted and went right to sleep. Mom and dad and Chris and I all inspected my caulk filled kitchen table and then refilled the two end lines before calling it a night and heading to bed. 

It was a busy day and holy cow, I just love having my mom and dad here. A week ago, I was struggling hardcore with my kids and my happiness and this has been a much needed and appreciated weekend! I'm still trying to figure out a plan where they can come and live with me. In the meantime, I just count down the days until their next visit. 

No comments: