Saturday, June 10, 2017

getting ready for baby

we're in the final count down and I'm feeling it.  I'm trying to get my house in order and not let things get too out of control that I would need extended cleaning up to fix it.  I gave myself the deadline that I needed everything necessary done by today.  after today, I can do extra things if I want, but I need to be fine with going into labor at any time.  soooo, what do I have to feel accomplished about so far? not much, but there are a few things.

staying up on laundry.  I like to let the laundry pile up and then have a laundry day where I knock it all out.  I've been trying not to do that so much lately just in case I'm caught at a bad moment.

cleaning out my nightstand.  my nightstand is a horrible hot spot for me.  I can never ever keep it consistently clean or clutter free.  I reorganized it again the other day and am 90% done getting everything how I need it.

setting up baby boy stuff.  I decided I didn't want to rearrange kids rooms or anything until later in the summer.  my mom will be here for two weeks, Abigail will be gone for one week, our family will be traveling for a little over a week... and mostly, I need to get an idea of what this baby's temperament is before I make final decisions.  also, it will keep Elizabeth in place in her room for a while after baby arrives, which I think is preferable.  so, likely we can just wait on any bedroom switching until closer to when school will start.  with Elizabeth, I set up shop in the guest room and that was our special room for several weeks.  I loooooved it.  this time, that's brady's room and our guest room that we'll need for mom's visit.  so I'm going to set up shop in our master bedroom and Chris will sleep upstairs in Abigail's twin bed or the twin bed in the playroom.  I set up all the clothes and blankets and diapers and stuff for the newborn stage in the bottom main cabinets of the entertainment center in our bedroom, and because everything is so tiny, there's actually plenty of room! I also set up the little Eddie Bauer travel bed we have and put it in the corner of my room next to my nightstand to use instead of our Moses basket.  I'll bring up the swing, bouncer, extra blankets, etc. from the basement if/when we need it... right now is just the newborn essentials and it's always shocking how little is needed.  I love it.

I've been reading my hypnobirthing book.  I'm not listening to any of the cd tracks or practicing any of the visualizations because I really didn't use either of those things the last two times, but I am reading over again about just how relaxing the body benefits the labor process and how to do the different types of breathing.  somehow it's calming and empowering and exciting and all those things to just be reading about this great thing your body is going to do.  I think so much of labor is mental that just knowing that your body is capable and designed to birth a baby makes all the difference.

I went on the hospital tour.  I know this'll be my third time giving birth in this same hospital in a relatively short period of time, but things really do change so frequently that I feel like it's beneficial to take the tour (and have it fresh in my mind) each time.  between Brady and Elizabeth, they completely built a new labor and delivery unit and a ton of things changed.  and even this time when I went on the tour, some things were new and different (like they said they have a mobile monitoring system so you're monitored continuously but are free to walk around anywhere on the labor and delivery floor.  it was great to have a refresher of where to go and how things work and stuff like that.  also, I asked a question about if an IV or hep-lock was mandatory and the main nurse couldn't even give me a straight answer because it depends on the situation and the doctor (I have kaiser so I'm just getting whatever doctor happens to be on call... not the one that I've met and am familiar with).  but the best thing she said was "do you have a birth plan? write it in your birth plan.  we really really really try to honor everyone's birth plan, so if it's important to you, make sure to get it written in there.  and then bring several copies so it can be posted on the door and in your chart and everyone can be on the same page." that was helpful for me because I've done birth plans before, but just for me.  like as a rough draft to organize my thoughts.  I've never actually shown it to any medical professionals but I guess I'll have to try that this time.

so on that note, yesterday, I typed out a birth plan on my phone.  I used the birth plan pages at the end of the hypnobirthing book to give me ideas and just typed up on my phone what actually applied to me and in shorter phrases, in my own words.  I requested not to have an IV or hep-lock unless specifically necessary.  also, random stuff that I remember from my last births, like not wanting super bright lights, loud voices, or assumptions that I'm getting an epidural.  stuff like that gets old when you're individually explaining it to allllll of the different people assigned to helping you.  I just need to finalize that and get a few copies printed.

I've even set aside a few things to take to the hospital! In my three previous experiences, I have not packed a hospital bag until I'm already in established labor.  no clue why.  just kept procrastinating.  this time, I haven't packed a bag or anything, but I have put a few things aside like going home clothes for the baby and me.  and a phone charger.  I know that's literally like three things, but I'm feeling super accomplished about it because it's way more than what I've done before!  I just need to make a little list of the last minute stuff to grab like my toothbrush and hair straightener and contacts.

soooo, honey took the kids to Parker days and Elizabeth and I are going to grab ourselves some cereal for breakfast while I make my to do list for the day.  I can't believe how fast everything is coming!

No comments: