Monday, November 8, 2010

papa's 90th birthday

i gave up waiting for my technologically challenged non bogging sister to upload pictures from papa's birthday weekend.  SO here it is... one month late.  a post about my weekend trip to georgia.  and while there are pictures, feel free to hold a grudge against my non blogging sister for all of the hilarious and excellent pictures you're missing out on.  goodness knows i am.  ;-)

baby and i flew in on thursday afternoon.  dad picked us up from the airport and while baby napped, we ate a delicious dinner.  then we went to my only brother's softball game which was tons of fun.  especially since i didn't really watch it.


that's him.  he's real skinny.  and white.

with my polar opposite friend, rachel.  and our polar opposite kids.  except that rach is normally the one wearing black.  just so you know, we didn't coordinate our outfits or our kids.

she got baby the cutest, preppiest little 12 month outfit and a precious monogrammed bag with her birthday.  she also got the same exact monogrammed bag for her puppy, piper. 

this was what we did during the game.  that's sara snow holding baby, and jill, sister of "cory's sister."
baby's first time with her uncle wally.
after the softball game, my dad and i went to pick up my blogging sister from the airport.  lucky for us, her plane was delayed, so we stopped by the varsity, my very favorite restaurant in the entire world.  i just noticed how strange it is that for it being my favorite restaurant, i can count on one hand the number of menu items i've tried.  every time i go i get a frosted orange, a chili dog, and 2 things of onion rings.  but this last time i tried my dad's chili slaw dog and i think that might have to be my new usual.  heaven.

the lines are very hit or miss.  we were lucky to be able to walk straight up to the counter.

"WHAT'LL YA HAVE?!?!"
 
  

this time i only got one order of onion rings.  i was making obviously making healthy choices.     see that little tray of onion rings?  34 grams of fat.   

my dad is the most amazing food companion. 

this is the line when we walked out.  still not bad though.  let's play a politically incorrect game. -- i spy someone white.  oh wait, no i don't. -- i sure love atlanta.
friday morning baby and i drove down to the farm with my blogging sister and my non blogging sister's husband.  the best part was the great country tunes we blasted!  thanks for making that cd, emmy.  and thanks for letting me keep it.  it hasn't left my cd player since we got back!  my blogging sister is the best cd maker in the world.  oh, and in case you were wondering, baby girl's favorite song is "stuck like glue" by sugarland.  it's our song.

meet papa, the 90 year old birthday boy.  he LOVES babies.  he spent all of his free time holding baby and didn't care about sharing her with anyone else.  you know he held her more than anyone else because he is the only one that got pooped on... four times.  don't believe me?  notice the outfit changes.

papa had probably 100 people show up for his party.  from all over the southeast.  but i'm pretty positive his favorite part of the weekend was spending time with his three great grandchildren.

papa took us on a tractor ride.  not baby and me "us", i mean my blogging sister and my niece (who, after 4 years, doesn't hate me anymore!) and me.

when i handed baby over to papa, i was 100% confident that even if a tornado and a hurricane and ten thousand nazis came through, i would come back to this exact sight.  this might be why no one else got a turn.

i'm pretty sure i promised a full post on this but i'm full of empty promises so here's the short story.  my non blogging sister spotted a snake in the bushes.  my mom got a garden hoe to kill it but my grandmother forbade her to do anything that might hurt her beloved flower bushes.  that's why granny's got a shotgun.  they never could agree so the snake got away.

i'm pretty sure she has on that napkin bib because she'd previously managed to poop and puke all over papa.  you'd think he would care but he was undaunted.

what's that?  another outfit change?  papa had to change as well but you can't tell because he has about eighty pairs of the exact same khakis .  the blowout that took place 30 minutes after this picture taken was BY FAR the worst of the weekend.  baby had to get a head to toe bath and it required a full head to toe outfit change for papa.  and just fyi, she was wearing the oh so fabulous ritzy pampers.  her poop is just that explosive.

my only brother walter and my clone niece skye who, let me repeat, does NOT hate me anymore!  YEAY!!!  we LOVE this!!!

i'm making homemade ice cream!  i almost cried when i found out it wasn't milkyway but i still ate it because i'm a trooper like that.  i will say though that i'm still pretty bitter about this.

walter, mother, papa, emmy, granny, aunt libby.  check out my mom's jeans.  don't they look great?  she's so stylish.

happy 90th!!!  i have the cutest grandfather ever!

did i mention my brother is a complete narc?  we couldn't get him out of the chair so he slept in it the whole night... like til the next morning.  just as you see in the picture.

it's hard to get papa to smile for pictures.  but this one is real.  on the right is a digital frame we loaded with tons of pictures of his very favorite people. 

i was genuinely surprised to see two mosquito bites on my arm.  you know you've been away from the south too long when you think being indoors makes you immune to getting bug bites.

don't they look like twins?  i'm pretty positive they didn't plan to be all matchy matchy but it still looks just precious.
and here is where we continue the grudge.  trapped on my non blogging sister's fancy camera are the fabulous pictures from our sunday best photo shoot and some great shots of my baby looking like a peacock.  oh, and pictures of the actual birthday party.  

i NEED those pictures!!!

oh, and here are all of the pictures i took from the weekend.  there are only 80.  liza, did you know i really really want those pictures from your camera?  picasa web albums is user friendly, i swear.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

Is this why you haven't returned any of my phone calls?! A true grudge! I have been house hunting in another city (since the party) and am moving this Friday and closing on a new house on Monday (a 3 week close time) and turning over my business that I've started from scratch and is my pride and joy to a new employee who is not even available this week for me to finish training! Sorry but everything has been on hold until after the move! Love you lots

S.A.R. said...

Oooh! Carrie I love that I can see your blog header picture in COLOR! What a babe you are. I love these pictures! You have made me crave onion rings now, by the way. Thanks a lot! :)

sorham said...

I'm more of a huggies fan myself, pampers are weak!

kara said...

Umm, the shotgun wielding grandma is probably my favorite picture. Love it. She is serious about protecting her plants, huh?

Ricci said...

This made me miss home so much!! P.s. Thanks for always making me smile...I love reading your blog!

Mary Mitchell said...

1-Jill was at my house that night right before the softball game. She told me to come, but I did not. I missed my only chance to meet you for real ... and for Luke to meet baby girl.
2-the Varsity makes me a little bit sick, but I do love that picture of your Dad ... and the one of all the white people.
3-I love the part about your Papa. Those are great great pictures of him with Abigail! He came to Paul's grandmother's funeral in a light blue seersucker suit. I knew anyone who would do that must be a good person :).
4- ... there was something else, but I can't remember that the rest of your post was about and I don't want to hit the "back" button because my huge comment will probably be erased.