Friday, December 12, 2014

It was still worth it

Sometime I'll need to write a little more about our Atlanta trip (we'll see if that ever happens) but suffice it to say, it was far less fulfilling than what is anticipated. One of my biggest disappointments was my trip to the farm to visit granny and papa. Traffic on the way down meant we didn't arrive til close to ten at night, and then just hours later, Abigail started vomiting... Which lasted 24 hours. So I was taking care of her constantly and so tired from cleaning up vomit during the night... And I just really didn't feel like I got the quality time with granny and papa that I really wanted. And I wouldn't even let Abigail near them because I was so worried about them getting sick. And Brady wasn't really spending time with either one of them because he's Brady and doesn't come near people he's not BFF with. The whole experience made me want to cry. I mean, we literally went outside to enjoy the flawless weather for seriously 15 minutes?!  We took the kids out to swing which lasted about two minutes (jurist long enough for me to snap a few pictures) and then Abigail dropped off the swing to get on her hands and knees and start puking in the grass. Anyways, I'm trying not to really think about things because it's so frustrating to me. 

But today I had a moment that made me want to shed a few tears of joy. The kids and I were on the loveseat in Abigail's room when Brady got all cheerful and pointed at something while enthusiastically shouting "Papa!  It's Papa!"  Then as I was looking over in that direction, Abigail is all "Yeah Brady, that's a picture of Papa and he was holding me when I was a baby."  It's the picture on Abigail's desk of Papa at his 90th birthday party, holding tiny 3 month old Abigail. And in that moment, I just was so extremely grateful. Grateful that Abigail and I were able to fly out for Papa's party, grateful that we could visit granny and papa last week, grateful for my grandparents' good health and longevity, and so so so grateful that my kids have this wonderful opportunity to know and love their great-grandfather and great-grandmother. 

As much as I felt like that trip was a waste because it wasn't exactly what I wanted, it wasn't a waste at all... and I'm thankful for this sweet reminder of that. 

No comments: