Monday, August 24, 2015

Sunday socks and sleepiness

8.16.15

Sometimes I wake up and check my camera roll just for fun. Just to see what Brady may have photographed while I was sleeping. Like this picture of Elizabeth on her monitor. 

Presley is always wearing socks and ballet flats. I texted this picture to Stephanie and told her that I blamed Presley's trendsetting ways for Abigail requesting to wear this getup to church. I convinced her that her sparkly sandals would be a better choice. 

Brady stole my phone during church. Christopher was feeling sick to his stomach so he stayed home and I left sleeping Elizabeth with him. After all the trouble she gave the babysitter, she slept for over ten hours and then, because I was tired and have a cold, I fed her and out her back to sleep at 7:30am. When I came home at 12:30 after sacrament meeting, Christopher and Elizabeth were both asleep in their own beds and I had to wake her up. Seriously kid, you're such a great sleeper and you couldn't do any of that for your very first babysitter?!  Maybe next time. 

Anyway, sacrament was just me and Abigail and Brady and so we sat on the second row of the overflow. Same spot as last time when I was pregnant and honey was out of town and I almost cited during the whole three hours of church thankfully this was not a repeat of that. The speakers were great, especially lee wright. I just loved it. 

Brady is so sleep deprived these days. I mean, I am too, but all day long he's burrowing into me and then rolling around on my lap like a rotisserie chicken just trying to get comfortable. I wish he would just go back to sleeping so he's not such a hot mess 24/7. Anyways, he started falling asleep on me at like 5:15 so I had to wake him up. 



It's his own fault though. Anyone have any tips? He can't handle being alone in his bed. He needs me to be there when he falls asleep at night, and all of the times he wakes up during the night. I'm not a fan but I'm trying to be compassionate. But seriously, he went from 16ish hours of sleep per 24 hour period to around 10 hours of very broken sleep. It's taking a toll on him. He's about as emotionally stable as a pogo stick   And considering he's a two year old that has always been really needy and high maintenance, this isn't great. 

I'm actually sitting by him at this very moment. Because he was so exhausted that I put him to bed at 7pm and the he woke up at 11 crying for me. I expect him to do this at least four more times tonight. He's trying to kill me. Very slowly. 

You know who else used to be killing me (and maybe still is) slowly? Elizabeth. The girl still won't take a binky. I've only been trying allll the time since she was two days old. I'm getting over it though. She'll semi chew on it and honestly, she's so happy that she doesn't need one. The real problem is that she's sooo finicky with taking a bottle. I started giving her a bottle when she was 8 (I think) days old. She took it fine. I mean, that's pretty normal because newborns normally take a bottle, regular infants are iffy, but brand new babies take bottles... They don't know any better. So then I kept giving her a bottle every five days. And it was always just "fine" and never "fantastic."  But being an optimist, I assumed it would keep getting better and more regular. Not the case. Sometimes she's need a lot of encouragement, sometimes she wouldn't. Sometimes it could be freshly pumped, sometimes it had to be hotter than fresh, and sometimes it could be room temperature. There was no pattern, but as time went on, there were increasing instances where she would just never latch and after a million attempts, I'd just throw out the milk and try again in a few days. Last week I tried a time or two and she wouldn't take it. Saturday afternoon I tried desperately for 45 minutes to get her to latch. She wouldn't. It took that long to get her to drink a half an ounce. And most of that was probably what I squirted into her mouth, the rest was from her biting on the bottle, never sucking it. So, that night, I picked up our little twelve year old babysitter (who has never babysat for us before) and informed her that I'd be leaving her with a five year old, a clingy two year old, and a newborn that doesn't take a bottle. Ha. 

I won't lie, my night out was stressful. I'm glad I did it, even though I kept repeating in my head "this isn't worth it... This soooo isn't worth it."  It's hard to get out. It's so much work to prep the house and the kids and everything for a babysitter to come and put them to bed. Luckily abigail and Brady did well (Brady was weepy when I brought the babysitter inside to show her around, but then stRted playing with her and never noticed us leave and never cared even later), but Elizabeth woke up after less than an hour and a half. 

No comments: