Thursday, February 11, 2016

The days are long

I can't remember when it first started (maybe when Brady gave up naps or when Abigail started school?), but my days continue to feel like two days. Every night, I think back on the first half of my day and it weirds me out how it feels like yesterday. And how are my days so busy all the time?!  Like I don't have a job or extra curricular stuff that I do. I'm just a stay at home mom and that's it. But yet my goal today was to do a load of whites and I had zero time for that and now I'm really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I mean, my initial plan was to do it yesterday or the day before yesterday or whenever it was that I did the two loads of colors. But that didn't happen and neither did today. Every day so busy. Oh, that must have just been yesterday because the day before yesterday I think was my migraine day. I was out of commission the whole day. See? Yesterday feels like the day before. Because every day is two days. 

Today I woke up at 7 with my alarm and can't remember why it took me so long to get out of bed. Maybe I kept pressing snooze because I was exhausted  and then Brady came in and wanted breakfast of course. I woke Abigail up at 7:45 or so and then got in the shower. So she got ready and the kids ate their oatmeal. Elizabeth woke up sometime in there and I got her out at 8:45 and brought her with us to drop Abigail off at 8:53. That's what time we said goodbye. It's a new record for us. Sweeet. And she was pretty in pink all decked out for her valentines party. And she had hand written her name on all of her sticker box valentines yesterday so she was pumped. She waved by to Brady as she walked into school. I loved that part of my day. 

I finished getting ready and got the kids dressed and we dropped a box by goodwill, swung by chick fil a for a chicken biscuit (because it was 10:27 and I couldn't restrain myself), and went to costco (returned a puffy coat, moldy cheese, and got another $87 back for what they overcharged me for prescription glasses last time instead of long sleeve shirts). Then we shopped and I only spent 40 something dollars. This is the first time ever that I have actually left costco with more money than when I arrived. Woohoo! On the way back, I dropped off a few things at the library and even had time to put away the new costco cheese at home before getting Abigail from school. 

The kids and I were so excited about the great weather that they skipped snack/lunch and went straight outside to play. I put away costco stuff (and partially carved up the rotisserie chicken) and tried to feed Elizabeth (she was not interested in nursing today) and then went outside to join the kids. I got Elizabeth in her stroller and we were about to head around the block for a little bike ride except that Presley came home right then so we went to say hi. The kids played while Stephanie and I caught up a bit and then Abigail said she actually did want to walk around the block with Brady and Elizabeth and me still so she left Presley crying with a "I'll be right back!" And when I turned around, she was no where to be found (her bike was still on the sidewalk) and Brady was already turning the corner on his bike. I yelled at him to come back (he paused in his place) and then ran back to the house thinking maybe Abigail had gone in to get a coat. She wasn't there so then I was frantically running back outside and around the block to find Brady (who had decided to keep going and not return home like I'd yelled/asked him to do. Awesome. I can't find two of my three children. A minute later, I see Abigail running down the street and I yelled at her (I tried not to except that I was livid) what on earth did she think she was doing ("well I wanted to be first ahead of Brady so I ran the whole way" ...why is she so competitive??? She didn't get that from me) and I yelled for her to go straight inside and then I continued up the street and around the corner to find Brady just peddling his little bike. I was still so angry. I told him to go to his room and then I went to mine to calm down. How many times can I tell my kids that they can not go around the block without a grownup and if they can't see me, then they're too far?!?!  I'm dying here. Anyway, I calmed down and had a chat with them on the sofa, short and sweet, about creeps that can kidnap little children. Abigail had tears in her eyes. I hate to scare her, but it is what it is. By then it was 2 and natalie came over because my friend/visiting teachee had a meeting and needed someone to watch her kid. Abigail went back to play with Presley and Brady and natalie just played in the snow in the yard while Elizabeth and I hung out on the driveway. The weather was so beautiful. I was almost sweating at times. It's my favorite weather for kids to play in the snow. Brady had on a long sleeve t shirt, jeans, and snow boots and he was just perfect. Also, my other favorite part of the snow is that when Brady plays baseball, the baseball stops where it lands... Baseballs don't roll in the snow. ; ) 

Natalie got picked up a little before 4 and Elizabeth was exhausted (shed caught a 20 minute nap in the car earlier on the way back from costco, but then is gotten too busy to put her down for a nap) so I took her up to feed her and out her down. Brady came in a few times wanting to kiss her (allllways! It's cute but annoying when she's so easily distracted while nursing) but I kept motioning for him to just leave. Eventually he stopped coming in and I noticed the house was silent. After I put her down I went to investigate. Sure enough, he was asleep in my bed. That's the third time this week he's done that. It's awesome when it happens at 9:30 or 10. Not so much at 4:30, so I snuggled him gently to wake him up but make it seem like an accident. I read him a few things out of the ensign that was on my nightstand and eventually lured him out of bed telling him that if he and Abigail cleaned up, they could watch an episode of Mickey Mouse. But Abigail was so hungry she was almost crying (hadn't eaten anything since she got home from school) and Brady kept trying to sneak back in my bed to go to sleep, so I made them tacos (which took less than five minutes because the precooked meat from the freezer only takes two minutes in the microwave. The kids downed their tacos and some pineapple and then we're fine to watch Mickey Mouse. Honey got home while they were watching and made his own taco which officially started our nighttime routine. Elizabeth woke up while the kids were getting ready for bed and reading books and the avs played a great game (Abigail is super into it now that she inserts bad show to read the scores at the top of the screen... Seriously, she is so competitive!) and Brady (despite a number of attempts to fall asleep in my bed) managed to stay awake until his usual thing of going to bed when Abigail does. 

I fed Elizabeth solids and got her swaddled, nursed, and in her crib and then eventually got myself to bed. Ye kitchen is a mess and the dishwasher if still full of clean dishes from when he ran it last night. Honey has promised to take care of both of those tomorrow morning. 

So that's how I managed to not do a load of whites today. I'm optimistic about tomorrow. No shopping, no watching someone else's kid, and no half day kindergarten. Just a blank slate day at home with my three kids and some nice weather. Maybe I'll even be able to sneak a nap in there. Every day is just an adventure. 






No comments: