Sunday, October 20, 2013

I finally got released

Maybe I'll come back and add more thoughts to this later but I just wanted to make sure I got something down. 

I got released today. I've had forever (since sept 1 actually) to prepare myself for this but yet it's still surreal to me. Especially because I wasn't even at church for it. I already feel lighter and hopefully will continue to feel the burden lifted. Two years ago I could have never imagined the weight of this calling. I knew there was responsibility involved in being president but I've felt like I'm just constantly sinking under water with a ball and chain attached to my ankles. I'm so so sad to be leaving the young women that I've gotten the opportunity to know and love so really, there are just two things that are actually helping me to be happy about this change. 

1. I will no longer have the young women president weight on my shoulders. I've been dreaming of this day for the last 23 months. Before I was even sustained as president. 
2. I get to be on the welcoming committee which is the calling I wanted from the first moment I ever heard about it in ward council last month. I could not be more thrilled and excited about my new calling and I am so excited to magnify it to the best of my ability. 
Just kidding... Three...
3. I absolutely love the new yw president and presidency and all of the new advisors. They are going to totally rock it and I am so excited for our girls to get to know and love the leaders. 

I've spent at least six hours this past week counseling, training, emailing, texting, and meeting with the new yw president. I know I'll still be forwarding on emails for a little while but I have plans to meet with her one last time on Tuesday morning to hand over the last of the yw stuff I have and talk about a few final things. I've done as much as I can to get things in order (like planning out the Halloween party and making assignments and purchasing and organizing the prizes and games) so that the transition is as smooth as possible in these beginning weeks.  I remember the biggest thing in the beginning was a fear of the unknown. I only met with the previous president for like two hours and didn't feel prepared or like I had a grip on what was expected of me or what needed to be done right out of the gate. I want to pass along as much of an advantage as I possibly can. 

I am someone who naturally resists change, but in this case, don't mistake my nostalgia with resistance. This is absolutely the right thing for me right now and I could not be more pleased to be passing the torch on to the next person in this crazy relay. 

Life is good. I can't wait for this next, new chapter. Bring it on! 

No comments: