Friday, April 11, 2014

Klaudette's birthday party

This morning I woke up as I frequently do... To Abigail's intense eye contact as she breathes into my face from three inches away.

She got books to read while we snuggled in bed but I realized I was still very much not awake. So I turned over to lance at my phone and saw that my friend Jodi was returning my call from the night before. I keep my phone on silent while I sleep so it was perfect timing that I just happened to look over in time. 

I asked her about three things. A tablecloth, a dessert, and getting the girls together to play. Well Jodi knocked it out of the park (or maybe hockey lingo is more appropriate and I should say that she got a hat trick) because she had a tablecloth for me to borrow, she recommended a perfect dessert (I had all the ingredients and I'd tasted it before at her house and I knew it was going to be beautiful and delicious), and she offered to take Abigail for the day so I could prep for my MIL's party. I'm so grateful I have such a good friend here in Parker. 

Having all the ingredients for the dessert was amazing because Brady slept in super late and I didn't even get him up til 11:45 this morning. That meant that Abigail and I had no problem at all making and baking the cake before he woke up. Huge success!  Brady is teething (hence the sleeping til noon) and is just sort of unpredictable so I can't count on him like I otherwise would and I'm too ADD to bake a cake with a screaming baby. Tender mercies. 

Anyways, the kids ate breakfast/lunch while simultaneously destroying the kitchen. As then we all got dressed and ready for the day.

Jodi came by a little after noon to get Abigail and Brady and I left at the same time to go to king soopers for a few things. I found the birthday cards to be a little bland so I picked up this "coping/sympathy" card instead. I mean, she's turning 50...

Meanwhile Abigail was having a blast with Elle. They went to the park by legend and got slurpies on their way back home as then watched a movie at Elle's house. She didn't get back til 5:30 or six. I'm pretty sure Abigail would live with Elle if she could.

With Abigail playing with Elle and Brady down for a nap, I got everything set up for the party. I'm no party planner and this is totally not my thing, but I feel like I accomplished my goal of "festive" just fine.



Spring is in the air. 

I did a crappy job of takin pictures of the actual party. Kelsey brought the dinner. She made cafe rio pork salads and they were wonderful. We all had fun hanging out and eating and laughing at the babes interacting in their highchairs. They kept passing sippies and food back and forth. One time I saw Brady extend a tortilla to Hallie and when she reached her arm out, he retracted the tortilla and popped it into his mouth. They're only six months apart so I'm sure this is just the beginning of fun between them.

Klaudette had Abigail help her blow out her birthday candles. Abigail was so excited about birthday cake and candles and presents and party stuff and it was so endearing.

I completely forgot to take a picture of the cake. But I zoomed in on this other picture and you can get a pretty good idea of what it looked like. It was a chocolate caramel turtle bundt cake. I highly recommend it. We  served it with vividly vanilla ice cream and whipped cream and it was delightful.

I think John has got to be the most adoring uncle ever. Brady is so picky about people he will go to but he looooves John.

Seriously, how cute are they all?

And one last picture... Brady with the birthday girl.

It was a really fun night. I'm so thankful for Klaudette. I could never have dreamed of or hoped for a more wonderful mother in law.

No comments: