Tuesday, May 6, 2014

She can peel an egg

We were going to make Easter egg salad sandwiches with the last of our Easter eggs. As I peeled an egg, Abigail pulled a chair over asking to help. I told her a million times that it was really tricky and just for mommies and daddies. "But I can do tricky things!  I'll be really careful!"  Finally I felt my patience wearing thin and decided to give up. I thought of my dad's parenting counsel to me to just agree and say yes and let her experience and figure things out for herself. "Here you go baby girl... Go right ahead and peel it."  

Well, she did. I thought she'd get stuck after the easy hollow part on the bottom end but she kept going. And then she asked permission to crack it again so she could keep peeling. She just quietly and persistently worked her magic and perfectly peeled a hard boiled egg. "Mommy, I finished peeling it. Will you help me turn on the water to rinse it?"

I suck. She's been so nice and sweet and mature lately and I keep trying to doubt her and hold her back. 

Lesson to me: believe in your kid. there are enough people in the world that will tell this little girl that she can't. I need to be the person to tell her that she can. 

No comments: