Monday, April 20, 2015

monday... when i was awesome at life

most days i think i do little more than keep my kids alive.  my laziness and incompetence at life leaves me plenty of days that i can enjoy but not that many days i can truly call a success.

but today i did a lot of things i don't usually do and it made for a pretty wonderful day.

i think i woke up between 7:30 and 8, ate some cereal, and, after checking facebook for a bit, realized i was being stupid, and so i got out my personal progress book that hasn't been touched since i got released from young women's.  i read some scriptures and journaled and crossed off choice and accountability number three and it was very satisfying.  definitely a better start to my morning than just checking facebook.  abigail came downstairs later than usual and so we went back and forth with her about how "i don't like to clean my room" wasn't a valid reason to skip putting away her pj's.  and then when her room was clean, i got her some cereal.  i'd been texting liza about food so then she called and we talked about food and she motivated me to take my kitchen by storm... kinda.  but it was very motivating (i even put stickies on certain pages of my cookbook with liza's notes about the recipes).  i got off the phone with liza around 11 and brady was calling out for me from his crib so i got him up.  and then the kids and i made banana muffins and both kids shared a bowl of oatmeal while the muffins baked.

and then they danced while i cleaned up and texted or something.  i put brady down for a nap a little before two and then went back and forth with abigail about how "i don't want to have quiet time" wasn't logical reasoning enough to change my mind.  i read two books with abigail.  one with a character named emmy and one with a walter.  it was great.

honey had been texting me about taking dinner to a family he knows from work so once the kids were set for quiet time, i went downstairs and made chicken enchiladas.  some for them, some for us.  at 3:30, i told abigail that quiet time was over and go to potty and get her shoes on.  i got dressed, and then i grabbed brady from his crib and got us all in the car to pick up my friend's kids from school.  it was my first time in an elementary school pick up carpool line... i won't lie... i was nervous about it, but all turned out well.  we got home at 4:15 and then all of the kids played together.  mostly basketball in my great room and i'm happy to say that nothing and no one got broken.  the parents came to pick up their kids at 5:30 and then abigail and brady cleaned up, honey came home to get the dinner and a frozen pie, i started a thomas show for the kids, and honey left to drop off the dinner.  i put our enchiladas in the oven and started on the squash.  i set the table for us all right down to silverware and drinks and even dished abigail and brady's plates (so their food could cool down and they wouldn't have to wait five minutes after the prayer to start eating) and honey came home at the exact perfect time.  we all sat down to eat and enjoyed a wonderful dinner together.  brady's favorite part was the blackberries, abigail's favorite was the enchiladas, and my favorite was definitely the squash.  but all four of us finished our plates and went back for seconds and thirds.  abigail ate so much i thought she was going to be sick.  cleanup was a breeze while honey took the kids up and all of us cooperated and had a peaceful time getting ready for bed.  the kids were down by 7:45 and honey took off to go for a run.

my kitchen is clean, my great room is clean (in my mind that might as well equate to my entire house being clean), i never yelled at my kids, i served two different families in need, fed my kids three hot meals, cooked muffins, enchiladas, and squash all within 6 hours, started my day with scriptures, and ended my day journaling (aka blogging).  as you can see, a lot of things that aren't typical for me.  so i definitely mark this one as a success.

there's just something about mondays for me... they just always seem to be above average.  and thank goodness for that... i'm very appreciative of it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So happy you made dinner and everyone loved it!

Walter Cronkite said...

So happy you read books about Melou and me!!! That -- in and of itself -- is enough to make any day a success!

Walter Cronkite said...

So happy you read books about Melou and me!!! That -- in and of itself -- is enough to make any day a success!