Friday, September 11, 2015

And she didn't take a bottle

Did I ever write about when we left all three kids with a babysitter a month or so ago? And Elizabeth didn't even take a bottle. Picking the babysitter up I was all "umm, Elizabeth doesn't take a bottle... So hopefully she sleeps a long time.  But I'm just in downtown Parker if you need me to come home."  I ended up coming home to nurse her during intermission of the play we were at and then leaving again telling the babysitter to rock her to sleep. It was kind of a stressful night for me. I think the issue was that Elizabeth frequently wakes up and fusses a bit, but then falls back asleep... And instead of letting her fall back asleep, the babysitter was extra attentive and got her up. 

So for the past month, I've worked extra hard to give Elizabeth a bottle. Every day for a few weeks and then to every other day. All so I would be able to leave her and go to dinner and a play in downtown Denver with honey's Tennessee employees. So even the morning of I was testing to make sure that Elizabeth would take milk from the freezer (it would probably taste different since it was pumped when she was only a week old) and she did great. I felt fully confident about her taking a bottle for the babysitter. All of my hard work would pay off. I had a 7 ounce bottle of freshly pumped milk in the fridge and then I even thawed a bag from the fridge so there was another 7.5 ounce bottle ready. I left out a mug of water and gave the sitter heating instructions. When we got home, the sitter took Abigail and Brady outside to play while I swaddled and nurses Elizabeth and put her in the crib. I left the sitter with a monitor and institutions that she should sleep for at least 3-4 hours and to let her fuss, just not let her get into a hard cry. She was clear on this (especially considering last time how she had to hold her the whole time and I had to come home to nurse her) and I left her with a monitor and told her Elizabeth should fall asleep within 10-15 minutes. All of my hard work... Here it was. My baby would take a bottle from the sitter. 

Well, as I'm driving the sitter home around 11pm I'm asking her how the night was. "How was Elizabeth?" "Oh she was great! She never woke up!" 

Seriously?!  Smacking my head. Elizabeth, of course you did that. Whatever, the end result was the same. I got to go to the night out in Denver with everyone and I would have never attempted it if she wasn't taking a bottle super well. 

And the plus side was that I was able to wake her and change her diaper and reswaddle her and just hold her as a perfect ending to my day. And I didn't even need to feel guilty about it since I haaaaad to so she wouldn't leak out of her diaper during the night. She's my best medicine for my difficult motherhood moments these days. I love her so much. 

No comments: