Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Twice as many nerve endings

Have I mentione before my theory on Brady having twice as many nerve endings as a typical person? His pain tolerance is so unbelievably low. 

I mean, I know Abigail has a high pain tolerance. She takes some pretty huge falls on a daily basis and is always quick to shout out "I'm fine!" like its nothing. Even big wipeouts on her bike where she's literally pinned underneath and can't get our. "I'm fine!" When she was born, she was silent. I was paranoid anyway, but honestly, I panicked that something was wrong because my baby wasn't crying. It was only the beginning. 

Brady is just the opposite. He cries at the tiniest little bumps. If he and Elizabeth are playing and they bonk their heads, he's the one that's coming to me crying and Elizabeth is the one that takes a few deep breaths and keeps on crawling. It doesn't matter if he bit his tongue, scratched his foot, or just felt something weird, it's a big deal to him. And I've come to realize, he's not just being dramatic. There's no denying it, he just feels pain more intensely than the rest of us. So when he falls, it's always a huge deal, no matter how big or small. 

On the flip side, he's also, by far, the most ticklish person I've ever met. I think maybe he just feels everything more intensely. I'm glad he'll never experience the pains of pregnancy or childbirth (except for his own, which he definitely cried about... A WHOLE LOT) because there's not a lot he can handle, pain wise. 

So, all of this is to say that we've had a rough five days. I'm nearly positive that brady has hand foo and mouth. No rash or sores on his hands or feet and only one little cancer sore in his mouth, but holy cow, he spends all day in a whining half cry (or full blown cry) that his mouth hurts and he's so hungry but he can't eat. He's got such a sweet tooth and this morning he wouldn't even let me get him ice cream because he didn't want it to hurt his mouth. Even drinking water makes him cry. It's so sad and pathetic. I will say that he's also been experiencing the other symptoms of fever (it comes and goes) and sore throat. And ear pain. And probably body aches.  And for sure that general feeling of being tired and unwell. He just mopes and lays around all day. And cries that his mouth still hurts. Every minute and a half. It's unreal. 

So, online shows pictures of kids with horrible rashes all over their face and hands and feet and thank goodness he doesn't have that (although the whole area around his mouth and I've been laying on the Vaseline) and really super hallelujah that he only has one mouth sore instead of 10 or 15 or whatever those other photos have. 

So, he didn't get to go to church on Sunday (yes, he cried a ton about that too) and it was a long weekend with that and abigail not having school on Friday or Monday. But hopefully we're making it through. It's supposed to last 2-7 days, so hopefully it's gone by Friday at least. I don't know how much more this guy can take. 



No comments: