Monday, February 20, 2012

i'm a member

i've had the parker costco on my speed dial since i moved here.  i like to call from time to time to ask things like

"do you have egg nog in stock yet?  what's the quantity and how much does it cost?"
or
"i know you can't check sizes/colors in your system, so could you go do a physical check of that giant stack of boots and tell me if you have the gray ones in a size 9?"
and
"have you put halloween costumes out yet?  can you tell me if you have that carters ladybug costume with the striped tights in a size 12-18 months?"

it's been very useful to have their number right at my fingertips.  and they're oh so helpful.  the ironic part of this all is that i didn't have a costco membership.

i'm a costco shopper but i'm also a mooch.  i only go to costco with people that have costco cards so they can buy my stuff and i can pay them back.  so that's why i've called the parker costco so much.  because i wasn't going to tag along on a costco trip when the specific item i wanted wasn't going to be there.  it's been wonderful. especially because every time i called with questions it always made me feel so sneaky.

well, that will all change now because tonight we took the plunge and got a costco membership.  the strange thing though?  it was probably the first time i've felt weird or uncomfortable shopping there.  whereas before i should have probably felt scandalous for shopping there without a costco card, i didn't.  but this time i definitely felt scandalous shopping there without a costco cardholder friend/family member.

anyways, this is just one more step towards becoming a "real person."  real person = true adult.  is there going to come a time in my life where i actually feel like an adult instead of feeling like a kid pretending to be an adult?!?!

ps- i think i have the best life ever.  it would be impossible for me to not adore my life.  part of that is because i have an awesome life and part of that is because it's just in my personality.  for the past six months or so, my goal has been to make my honey as happy as i am.  i want him to realize that he has all the same blessings that i do and he should be as obsessed with our life as i am.  i think he knows it but it's just not his personality like it is mine.  anyways, we were driving home tonight when out of the blue he said "y'know, we have everything."  and then went on to list stuff.  the funny part about it was that it wasn't "our kid, the gospel, each other and our eternal marriage..." it was "we have everything.  a house, [something else i can't rememer], a costco membership, and gym membership, season sports tickets..."  ha.  and then the conversation veered in the direction of how we never actually use those tickets because we're too cheap to get a baby sitter.  so does that mean i'm making progress in my goal?!  it was a sweet moment but it was also kinda hilarious.

i love my life.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You know what, Carrie? I love you. I love that you don't complain about your life. I hope I don't complain too much . . . I really don't like when wives and mothers complain, though, because I would so much love to be in their shoes! You never do, though! You are a good example of a wife and mother! Thanks!