Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Better by the day

I get a lot of people asking me how Brady's doing. I know I do a crappy job of doing anything more than occasionally mentioning him on the blog. But it's hard when he's constantly changing! So here's just he latest on Brady's happenings.

Brady's first two weeks- screaming during every single diaper change. Next couple weeks fine with diaper changes. Next few weeks- happy to just lay for five or so minutes after a diaper change. As of last Thursday, will actually be content just laying on the floor (without a binky even!) after a diaper change for even fifteen or maybe twenty minutes! And I can much more frequently put him down when I need to and he'll be happy to just hang out til I come get him again. It's like he just flipped a switch. But I guess it's actually been a progression of flipped switches. It's amazing and I'm loving it.

Brady almost never minds his medicine anymore. Maybe it's an acquired taste? He used to cry and spit most of it out. Now he just opens his mouth and gulps it right down. Occasionally he'll fuss a tiny bit but that's definitely not the norm now.

He's still hot and cold with his baths. But he's so tiny that they only take about sixty seconds anyways so it's not a big deal. Unless I'm bathing Abigail too, then I just bathe him in my bathroom sink. It's kinda like washing my hands except that its a baby.

For the last several weeks, Brady has been sleeping 100% in his carseat. And if we're at home then it just sits by my bed. I'm kinda over it. First, I have a pretty strict rule about no kid stuff in my bedroom (Brady has been granted an exception since he was born) and second, it's not sustainable. It's better for kids to sleep flat on their backs and I want Brady to learn to sleep in his crib. So yesterday afternoon I had him nap in his crib. He did great. Three hour nap with minimal help. Evening nap sucked. And then all of last night was mostly rough (multiple binky insertions before he would fall asleep) and he slept for as little as a 1.5 hour stretch and as much as a 3 hour stretch. Rough. I am not one of those people that can say I wake up early in he morning to exercise but now I can say I wake up during he night to exercise. I need credit for the fifty plus times I went up and down our stairs last night!

Today's first two naps were good. 9 to 11:35 (in crib) and then 12:20 to 3:25 (buckled in carseat at the playground and then finished just in the kitchen. The other afternoon nap in the crib sucked and the nap tonight while I took both kids to young women's basically didn't happen. He was awake and fussy the whole time. Abigail was a delight though so thank goodness I didn't have two crying kids! He just had such a fussy night and it made me grateful again that it's not the norm like to used to be!

Anyways, hopefully tonight goes okay so I'm not too tired, but either way, I'm getting the hang of juggling two kids in the daytime. Even if I'm still trying to figure out this nighttime baby thing! I mean, I did three loads of laundry and cleaned my kitchen from top to bottom and took both kids to Walmart yesterday and survived just fine! And most of my days go really smoothly now! I rarely have moments with both kids screaming and an overwhelming desire to curl up in the fetal position and give up on life. I mean, just kidding, that never ever happened to me not even once.

So just wish Brady and me good luck tonight!

Ps- this afternoon while I was feeding him he kept making eye contact and cooing at me and smiling! So even though I know he's done this a few times before, this time was the first that I felt we were really connecting. I'm going to mark today, the day he turned seven weeks, as the memorable day for this important milestone. So exciting! He melts my heart. I can't wait to get to know him as he grows up more and more!













1 comment:

ok said...

Yay Brady! And I'm so proud of you for getting so much done!