Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wardrobe changes

Yesterday when Chris got home, Abigail immediately started telling him about the outfits she'd worn during the day. That morning, we'd unloaded every article of clothing from her main clothing drawer to the floor to spread it all out in hopes of finding something acceptable to wear to preschool. She finally settled on leggings and a shirt. I was shocked she was wearing leggings because she's strictly skirts and dresses now. But she really wanted to wear that shirt (it had colorful pictures of sweets on it like ice cream and cupcakes... It also had a very noticable stain but whatever) and it didn't go with any skirts... Just those leggings. 

Then, after school, she changed into a dress (one she's never worn because we get a lot of hand me down clothes and half of he clothes she owns, she's never even worn) and a white cardigan that she's also never worn. It lasted for a few hours while she played at Lucy's but when she came home, both were covered in highlighter and marker and we needed a new outfit for going out to dinner with some of Chris's client friends and Brent and Klaudette. 



So Abigail changed into her gray dress (which she has worn before.  Many many times. The previous day in fact, but it was time to wear it again I guess because I'd just done laundry two hours before and it was freshly clean again) and finished out the night in that number. 


Today, we've been up and at the day for three hours (although holy cow it seems like so much longer because it has been a ROUGH day so far and I have another migraine that makes me feel like I might vomit at any moment) and Abigail is already wearing her third dress of the day. When she woke me up this morning, she'd already used her spray bottle and brush to do her hair (she's getting really good at it!) and put on her favorite blue dress that is the same style as the gray dress she loves.



 But after some time spent reading books in her room, she came down for breakfast wearing the purple and pink polka dot dress my mom got her. She loves that dress so it wasn't too much of a surprise.  But then while she was riding her bike and scooter, her dress got dirty and she ran inside to change again. This took a while. Eventually, she came out in a flowery dress and a pink cardigan she's never worn before. 


What confused me most was that it was brand new but had no tag. "Hey baby girl, did you take the tags off?"  "Yeah, I just used your scissors and cut the tag off myself."  We'll alrighty then. At least she knows to put on a sweater when she wears a sleeveless dress and shorts or bloomers underneath?  And that she definitely pays attention trying to make sure that her clothes match. 

She's driven me crazy today, but she's also done a great deal to care for Brady when I can't get myself to move an inch to get him more water or another tissue for his nose. Why do I have another vomit threatening migraine when I just had one last Thursday?!  And why does my four year old lie to me daily?  And who wants to give me their best tips, tricks, advice, and resources for parenting a kid with a lying problem? And what stain removal works better?  Soaking with borax or soaking with oxiclean? 

I used to wonder how parents of kids had as much laundry as they claimed they did (well, I do still kind of wonder) because you should not have two loads a day when there are only two parents and two kids. Well, when your four year old goes through four full outfits a day, it does make a little bit of a difference. 

It's a bad coincidence that my last migraine and today's are both on travel days with Christopher not getting home til hours after bedtime. Let's all just cross our fingers a bit and hope I survive the day. 

No comments: