Friday, December 21, 2012

Thomas dream come true

I think I blog about Thomas more than any other topic and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Before I go on I will say that right now is my second time (we're on our way home) driving in the car with my two kids in the back seat. It feels equal parts weird and cool. I feel pretty legit now.

Anyways, I've been scouring Craigslist for several months to find a big Thomas set for Abigail for Christmas. Turns out that even second hand, this stuff can be really pricey! I've seen postings for people asking as much as $750 for their lot of used Thomas trains and tracks and stuff. We saw one Monday we really wanted but it was already spoken for by the time we emailed and I was so crushed because I knew time was running out. Somehow, yesterday my Christopher found this set posted for $150.  He emailed them, not even asking for a lower price or anything and the lady responded that actually we could have it for just $50.  And then when honey went to pick it up, it was just the husband that was there.  So the guy helped honey load it all in his car and was confused when christopher got out his wallet.  He had kept saying stuff like "thanks for picking it up, we're glad someone can use it because we were just gonna send it to good will" and I guess his wife hadn't told him that we were planning on paying for it.  Anyways, he wouldn't accept more than $20 for it because he thought it was too beat up.  I asked honey if they seemed like they had a lot of money (reading the clues, it seemed this had to be the case if they didn't care about the money or see the value of the set) and honey confirmed my suspicions and said they had a really big, super nice house and kept apologizing that some of the pieces had chipped paint and whatever.  ha.  Loved that.  So even though a comparable set on craigslist would go for at least $300 - $500, we somehow got this one for $20.  And then it was clear to me why none of the other sets worked out for us. I really don't know who's most excited about this. Honey and I can't wait to set it up in front of the tree Christmas Eve after baby goes to bed.  And then maybe in a few weeks or something when we have more time, we're going to sand down and repaint the train table they gave us as well.  I really can't say enough how excited I am about this.  But after dedicating a paragraph and pictures to construct a blog post about this craigslist experience, I think that's pretty obvious.








those trains retail for between 10 and 20 dollars a piece... and that structure by honey's hand... $140 at toysrus.  yikes.

and i got baby girl these obnoxious thomas pj's at walmart a few weeks ago. i think she'll be thrilled.

No comments: