Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A Tuesday

I hate that I haven't been blogging like I used to. My favorite blog to read is my own. And my favorite posts are the ordinary day to day boring ones. So, here's an effort to get back to that. 

This morning I slept in til my alarm that goes off sometime around 8:15 and checked my phone and Facebook for a bit before getting myself a bowl of life. Abigail came downstairs in her pink sweats with the glittery unicorn on the front and got herself a banana while I got dressed (in yoga pants and a hoodie because I truly just didn't care) sometime around 9 and then I got Brady up and dressed (in jeans and a hoodie... Because we should all look homeless and wear sweats at the same time) and the three of us were out the door. Y'know, after running back inside a million separate times for Brady's shoes, my phone, etc. as we were pulling out of the driveway I remembered we'd left Abigail's tote bag inside but you better believe I wasn't going back AGAIN so I sent her to school with her custom tote bag that rach gave me when Abigail was born. Brady ate a banana in the car and I got Abigail to preschool only a few minutes late and with a tuition check in hand. Go me for remembering that! 

So then as we were pulling out of the driveway, Brady requested that we go to the library so we stopped by there for 30 minutes to get honey's book on hold and just a few others while Brady played puzzles with kids that kept taking his stuff away. I just watched. He never put up a fight. Just found himself a new toy until someone else took that one away. ; )  as we were about to leave, a lady looked at me and was all "hi Carrie!" which horrified me because I'm horrible with faces (turns out it's a diagnosable condition) and she didn't look even vaguely familiar to me. So then she was trying to be all chatty and was asking if Abigail was in preschool and "does she go to little blessings? and oh she doesn't? Where does she go? And how old is your little guy now? I forget his name." And stuff like that. WHO IS SHE?!  I seriously hate that I have such a hard time recognizing faces. Especially in situations like that. Good thing we were already on our way out because if we weren't, we would have had to make up some reason to book it (no pun intended... We were at the lirbary) out of there. 

So then we went to the church for the weekly playgroup. Brady actually loves it with makes my heart so happy. He pretty much just runs around the gym and plays with all the balls while I sit and talk bachelor with the other moms. Brady kept bringing me balls and asking me to shoot them in the basketball hoops. Especially the one on the other end of the court as I was sitting. But he was totally satisfied if I just threw it in that general direction. We took off at 11:45 to go get Abigail from school. And she was in a great mood when we picked her up. Normally she goes all cool teenager on me and is like "mom, I don't want to talk about what I did at school, can you just turn some music on?"  But today she told me about play doh and snack and what book they read all that good stuff. 

Except when we got home she told me she wanted to go potty upstairs instead of the powder room. And she lied about going. Twice. She really doesn't lie about anything else. Just that specific situation of telling me she went potty when she didn't. I'll admit, I'm so grossed out and completely disgusted by lying. And I was even as a child. And a teenager. And really my whole life. Lying is the worst ever and it cuts me to the core that I have birth to someone who participates in that nasty habit. It breaks out my temper like no other. But today it broke out my pregnant tears. Did anyone else put their toddler down for nap, their preschooler in her room for quiet time, and then sit in bed and cry because your kid lied about going potty?  Oh, just me? Awesome. 

As usual, we had quiet time from 1-3 and then got meat out to thaw, went potty again, played the piano a bit and headed outside to enjoy the good weather. Honey got home around 3:30 and we sat in our camp chairs and watched Abigail  (and Brady when we got up at 4) ride bikes and play with Lucy. I headed in at 4:30 to start dinner (stuffed peppers) and honey and the kids joined me 30 minutes later. I accidentally had honey add double the salt and pepper (I hate when recipes list the ingredients as total amounts and only specify that something is divided in the actual recipe part of it). But I added an extra can of tomato paste and water  and then didn't add salt and pepper to the meat mixture. It all turned out great and delicious thank goodness. Also, I learned that honey doesn't know how to do a ponytail. I was making dinner (which is already hectic because cooking is stressful for me and so is multitasking so I was a little frazzled to be juggling peppers boiling, sauce simmering, and a raw meat mixture) and Abigail told me her ponytail slid out. I told her that daddy was so great at ponytails and to have him fix it. He did a bun, she started to cry about it, he told me he didn't know how to make a ponytail, I told him to pull the hair all the way through, he did another weird and half falling out bun before I really believed him. Seriously?! I thought that was like tying your shoes. I didn't need it to look good, I just needed him to wrap a ponytail holder around some hair. I would have taken pictures and a video if it wasn't so crazy at the time. It was worthy. 

So then I did random stuff like recycling and bringing in new gallons of milk and whatever and told honey to play with the kids and clean the kitchen while I showered. I think he forgot about the kitchen part because he did a great job outruns together a beaded candy necklace with Abigail but didn't clean the kitchen. Oh well. I managed to shower and clean the shower and get dried off by the time the timer went off for the peppers. I broiled some cheese on those suckers and we all sat down to eat a few minutes later. I know it's honey's favorite meal that I make but I'd forgotten how truly yummy it is. And even I was shocked at how the kids inhaled every bite and asked for more and downed their weight in peas. It's rare for me to get thanks for making a dinner (shocking considering how rarely I make meals!) but tonight I didn't even care because holy cow these three were loving it. Then honey cleaned the kitchen, Brady and I cleaned up toys, and Abigail went potty and put on her diaper and pjs. I left honey to keep doing dishes while I put the kids to bed. Abigail said the fourth article of faith for us and prayed for us. She was thankful that she could go to preschool and that she could play with Lucy. Honey came up to say goodnight to the kids. 

I always go in and give Abigail and extra kiss after I put Brady down before I head downstairs. I told her that I didn't want her to lie anymore and she was like "yeah, daddy already talked to me about this." Ha. And because I thought she wouldn't care, I turned out the bathroom light in the hallway. Brady immediately started crying. So I turned it back on and the crying stopped instantly. I went downstairs and started telling honey. "I thought I'd turn out the light in the bathroom because I don't think Abigail really cares about it anymore..." And he interrupted me to say "no, don't do that, Brady cares."  Apparently he'd already discovered that on one of the previous times that I'd sent him up to figure out why Brady was crying. ; )  Brady is so funny. He cracks me up. 

Today was a really great day. 

No comments: