Thursday, February 26, 2015

Atlanta!!!

My thanksgiving trip to Atlanta was kind of a disaster.  I had limited interaction with family, no contact with any friends, and I saw my fair share of vomit. It just wasn't great and I've been mourning it ever since. 

This trip, I knew I'd only be in Atlanta for literally 48 hours and I was really hoping to make the most of it. I'm happy to report that my 48 hours was absolutely perfect and way better than I even imagined. My only sadness of it was that I didn't get to see my two newest nephews, but other than that, it was everything I hoped for plus more. 

Tuesday morning, I set my alarm and finished packing and got ready. I packed my purse and Chris got the kids up at 7:30 while I was finishing making eggs. We all ate quickly and loaded up in the car and we're off right on time. We parked in that super far away lot that requires a shuttle (it's half price and we're going to be gone for almost two full weeks) and the kids were thrilled that they got to go on a bus in addition to an airplane. Abigail even commented on how pretty the chair fabric was because it looked like pretty jewels. Hopefully I can help her to continue to cultivate that optimism. At the airport we got all checked in and boarding passes printed and then walked around to see the longest security line we've ever ever seen. It was snaked through every single row and overflowing from that even. The entire room held a million and one people and we panicked for a bit because it looked like we'd be there for about an hour. Well, I'm kind of a lucky person and we got randomly selected (it's computer generated) to go in the fast line where you get to skip to the front and then keep your shoes on, coats on, laptops packed, and liquids in. It took like two minutes and we were out of there.

We made it to our gate and hung out for a bit together until it was time for honey to go to his gate (his flight was scheduled for five minutes after ours but headed to slc for business) and we kept commenting about how amazing it was that his flight was on time when my flight was delayed (he has the worst luck ever with flying) but how great that was since he had meetings but it didn't matter if the kids and I got in late. Longish story short... Our flight took off 50 minutes late and honey's flight had mechanical issues, and he switched flights, and then his original flight needed up leaving be more the flight he ended up getting on. Can't win. ; ) 

My flight with the kids was amazing. They're both old enough that I'm positive it was my easiest flight ever with two kids... Especially for me flying by myself with them. I'd taken my headphones out of my purse and not put them back in. And I forgot that delta is one of the airlines that gives you free tv but makes you pay $2 for headphones. Whatever. I excitedly told the kids that they could watch frozen and they were thrilled. Abigail sat in the window, Brady in the middle, and I in the aisle. They happily watched frozen without any sound and didn't even comment or complain that that was weird in any way. So adorable. And the flight was only 2 hours and 50 minutes so that was a bonus that it was so short.  Even when I needed to wash Brady's hands (I'd promised him), it was so simple and I went to the bathroom myself and it was no big deal since Abigail could stay in her seat while we were away. The only complicated thing was when I needed to take Abigail to the bathroom and had to bring Brady with us and there was turbulence going on. Myself and three kids... It was a bit crowded in that bathroom and took some strategic maneuvering. ; )  But seriously, I just kept pinching myself because it was so, so easy. It'll be my last trip flying solo with two kids so it was nice to go out on a happy note. 

We gate checked our bags so we didn't have to carry them through the airport again. So I just held Brady and held Abigail's hand while we made our way to baggage claim and our bags came immediately. And bonus, dad surprised us a few minutes later by walking in the door to get us! We all stopped by the varsity on our way home and picked up food for everyone and met up with mom at home. And then Walter came over. We all enjoyed delicious onion rings and chili slaw dogs and frosted orange. Buddy came upstairs with me while I put the kids to bed and it was so fun to hang out with him so we could laugh together at how cute Brady is when I brush his teeth and other fun stuff involved with getting the kids ready for bed. 

Brady had a bit of a hard time going to bed but I let him cry for a bit and then went in again to comfort him. When I was leaving that time, he was about to cry again and I told him that Abigail was already asleep so I needed him to lay down and be quiet so he wouldn't wake  her up and he totally did it. It's not the first time I've said that to him (I had to use it in Costa Rica a few times when we were all sharing a room) and every time, it surprises me how sweet and considerate he is. It tugs at my heart strings. As soon as he was down, I grabbed dad's car keys and headed to Lynell's house. Jamie and Sarah were already there and rach got there shortly after. It was so fun. Girls nights rejuvenate me. And the snacks Lynell got for us were delightful. I had some of the layered chocolate cake and some of the fruit tart. I mean, how are you supposed to choose only one?!  I love those girls and am so grateful for them. I do dearly miss my friends that have moved away though. If only everyone stayed in Atlanta or came into town when I did. ; )  I didn't even stay out super late and was home before one. 

Wednesday morning, the kids and I all woke up around nine (although I left Brady in his crib til closer to ten) and Liza brought her kids over around 11 maybe to hang out. So fun. Liza and mom and I just hung out in the kitchen and the kids all played. They had to leave sometime around one or so because it was starting to snow and the city declared a state of emergency starting at two. After the snowpocolypse last year, no one is taking any chances so the weather reporters were going crazy with the reporting. It was great. 

After Liza left, I sent mom [in the snow] to get some flank steak from costco so we could make beef jerky. I've been craving it for weeks. Especially craving FRESH jerky. Like warm from the dehydrator. We started on that and started on melting milky ways for ice cream and made cheese balls for good measure. I say we, but really I just continued to sit at the island eat while I hung out with mom and watched her cook. It was a slice of heaven. Walter came over (bekah had gone to visit her parents and was trapped there because of snow) to have a slumber party and hang out but he worked from the basement for several hours (had to get home because of that state of emergency going on) and then finally came up to play. He kept coming up occasionally before so it was adorable when Brady would be playing and then ask us, "where'd uncle Wally go?"  So precious. The kids (as always) couldn't get enough of his airplane rides and it was so cute to watch. 

We had peas and cheese grits and salmon (dad outdid himself with that one... It was seasoned and cooked to absolute perfection... I couldn't stop eating it) and loved hanging out and talking about if Chris would be able to make it to Atlanta (more crazy flight drama with his flight being cancelled because Atlanta was getting snow and they wanted him to get a 1am flight to Kennedy and then to buffalo and then to Atlanta, getting in sometime the following afternoon.  And this is after the previous drama of ditching his flight to Denver -to avoid that snowstorm- and avoid something going wrong with his short layover before Brazil) and then taking the kids upstairs for bed and taking a visiting teaching related phone call from my RS president. When I finished all of that, ice cream was done being churned and was already dished. More fun hanging out. And then Walter showing me tons of pictures of his boys and telling me all about walden and garner since I wasn't getting to see them that night. It was so great. Meanwhile, the jerky was getting done and so I kept sneaking hot pieces while we hung out and waited for Chris's flight to get in. He landed at ten and we all breathed a huge sigh of relief! Buddy went to bed and dad and I went to pick Chris up from Marta at 11. When we got home, mom had some freshly made salmon (since we finished off everything from dinner because it was so delectable) and other food. We all hung out even more and finally went to bed after midnight. That concluded day two of eating food in mom's kitchen... I mean, day two in Atlanta. ; )

Thursday (today) was unplanned but turned out great. We all got up about the same times as before and then headed to Liza's house because school was cancelled (fifth "snow day" in two weeks) but the roads were totally clear. I drove (with my mug of breakfast ice cream between my legs, while honey sat next to me and my dear mother crammed herself between the two car seats in the back. Honey worked and played with kids while mom and Liza and I just hung out. We left a little after one and I put Brady down for nap when we got home. He slept short and was awake by 3 or so. Mom and I had just been busy eating jerky and cheese ball and wassail so when Brady woke up, we had the kids come down so we could all eat ice cream together. Literally constant eating. I never stopped eating the entire trip. Eventually we wrapped up our ice cream session after two bowls per person and I went upstairs to brush my teeth and zip my bag up. We got the kids in the car and left a little after four. Chris sat in the back with the kids. We're so sad to be leaving them. I kept harassing mom with bits of childcare information but, sadly, it didn't help relieve my anxiety about leaving them. I told her she needs to email honey updates since I remember how much I relied on those when we were in Dubai. 

We took a random road to the international terminal and honey and I both couldn't get over how much nicer and less crowded it was than the regular part of the airport. 

And then we sat at our gate for like 2.5 hours waiting for our flight.  So I wrote this all out to relive my time in Atlanta. 

But really all I can think about is how much I miss my kids. 




No comments: