Monday, July 3, 2017

the best laid plans...

even the best laid plans go awry.

I had this genius idea to take the kids to the pool today. ms. stacey normally comes Monday morning from 9:15-10:15, but today need to come at 12:15.  I could have Elizabeth sleep in, skip a nap, and go to bed early. I would meet my friend Sarah at the pool to hang out for a few hours and catch up. and things were really going my way this morning when Brady, who normally greets me at 6am when I'm feeding Andrew, didn't wake up till after 9am! and he would be able to take an evening nap in the car on the way to the rockies game with Chris.  seriously, everything was coming together so perfectly.  after stacey left around 1:15, I got Brady and Elizabeth both ready and sunscreened and then went to get myself ready.  it took a little while because Elizabeth kept coming in to harass me... and maul Andrew.  then I realized that it was late and I was hungry.  so I attempted to eat one of the stuffed peppers mom made before she left.  it was delightful but I had to heat it up three different times because I kept getting interrupted and finally (like an hour later) I ended up just finishing eating it... cold.  I thought getting ready would be a breeze because I put on paw patrol for Brady and Elizabeth and Andrew was asleep.  nope.  Elizabeth had a dirty diaper that needed to be changed, and Andrew, during one of my attempts to eat stuffed peppers, started screaming from his bouncer.  well, his pjs were soaked right now to his toes.  it was his first blow out/leak out and also his first time in the bouncer.  not sure yet if those two are connected.

anyway, I had texted my honey at 1:04 to say I was going to take the kids to the pool in a bit and also texted my honey at 2:30, when he was on his way home, to tell him that we hadn't left yet and would see him shortly.  so uhh, I think we didn't leave for the pool till after 3.  and by that time it was pretty overcast.

and actually, Brady rode his bike to the pool, but not the little red bike because he's too cool for that now.  he rode his big Spiderman bike even though it's too big for him.  so he had a little bike crash when he stopped to cross a street and busted his finger.  it turned red and puffy immediately and his nail turned purple.  he cried the rest of the way to the pool and literally the entire time we were there and then the whole walk home and for at least 10 minutes after we got back.  also after we got there, it turned pre-stormy weather and literally pool furniture and umbrellas were getting knocked over INTO the pool because it was soooo windy.  it was like we were at the beach.  during a tropical storm.  it was crazy windy, super cloudy and dark, really cold, and oh, it started raining as soon as we got there.  sprinkling I guess, but those were cold sprinkles.  Brady got in the pool up to his waist but complained that the water hurt his finger even more.  I never even put Elizabeth's swim stuff on and was just sitting there wishing that I'd brought a hoodie.  we could have stuck it out just fine except that literally Brady was just standing on the pool stairs crying about his finger.  sooo I told Brady he might be better off cuddling on the sofa for a bit to watch more paw patrol. I walked his bike home for him while he walked and cried and told me he didn't want his finger to hurt anymore.  I was glad to have Christopher with us because he'd put Elizabeth in a stroller to push her (I would have just had her walk and that would have been a little more complicated on the way home) but seriously, I couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

so, y'know... sometimes you can just plan your whole day around going to the pool and put in a few hours of prep work only to have it, quite literally, rain on your parade crying four year old.

No comments: