Monday, October 31, 2011

where does the time go?

i recently read this washington post article about what stay at home mom's do all day.  i have to admit that i frequently wonder myself.  i feel like i'm doing stuff all day long and then somehow my honey arrives home that evening and i'm struck with the "what on earth did i do all day?" question.  well, to help me answer this question, i've started to sometimes take pictures (of course) to help myself remember and give myself some slack.  

disclaimer: you are about to see pictures of every toiletry i own.  shield your eyes if you're not into that sort of thing.

my honey has 6:30am meetings every sunday morning because he's the ward clerk.  he normally gets home around 10ish and frequently passes out for a little while in the hours before church starts at one.  this was the case this sunday morning.  so while i showered and got ready, baby girl roamed free in our master suite (feel free to laugh...it's a joke... i don't really call my bedroom/bathroom a suite).  i feel like it doubles my time to get ready (while simultaneously halving my patience) when i try to put things away as she takes them out, so this time, i did not try to clean up while the mess was being made.  i just focused on getting ready.  which still took forever because i had to go looking on the floors for everything i needed.

so while my bathroom counter tops and floors normally look like this...

just the bare minimum: soap, lotion, picture frame...
after getting ready for church on sunday, they looked like this...

like a bathroom WWIII with a million toiletry casualties

and dangerous things like nail polish items, bag of edible choking hazards candy, box of tiny jewelry, etc. all had to be taken away and relocated up high. 

this gives me a panic attack just looking at it.

what i would give for my kid to show this enthusiasm to her toys...
so while i could write a novel about my thoughts on this subject, i'll just instead, take a deep breath, sign off, and get some rest, so i can do it all again tomorrow.  

i lead a charmed life.

2 comments:

EmmyLou said...

I want to know what Chris said when he got up from his nap to see what you deal with everyday!

Unknown said...

love the mess! at least it kept her entertained ;)
also: random thought while admiring your beautiful bathroom (seriously, i love the tiles!)...remember when you used to live in a room the size of that bathroom?...and you shared it with another person, too...