Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ditching the kids

Thank goodness this has been soooo much easier this time around. When my Christopher and I went to Dubai two years ago, I was bawling my eyes out the night before. And while the trip was amazing, it was really difficult for me as well. It was hard for me to be so far away from Abigail. I had never left we before. Ever. Like not even for a night. And she was 18 months old so I was afraid about her comprehension level of it all. A baby doesn't even know you're gone and a child a little older can understand that you're going on a trip but will return. But an 18 month old is awkwardly in the middle. Of course all went well and Abigail had so much fun with my parents that she didn't even have time to miss me. We got a daily email update from my parents which was really nice, but it was just so so so so difficult. 

This time around?  So much better. Bray is young enough to be clueless and Abigail was thrilled when I told her that daddy and I would be leaving on an airplane but that she would get to stay and play with her cousins and grandma and grandpa. And they have each other. I love that, being in Hawaii, I can still use my phone and get picture texts and updates about the kids. Apparently they are thriving and doing so well it is likely they may never want their parents to come home again. I'm so so happy. Mexico is easy to fly to and so cheap, but I love that with Hawaii, I feel connected and closer to home.

I really miss my kids, just not in the "I want to curl up in the fetal position because I think I'm dying" sort of way. Maybe by the time we have five kids, leaving them will be a piece of cake. I can dream, right? 

No comments: