Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday mothers lounge, naps, and a walk

Let's just pick up where we left off. I put Brady to sleep in Abigail's room at 10:45 and he fell asleep just fine on his own. He woke up at 12:20 crying though. I sat on Abigail's loveseat while he fell back asleep. At 1:30, they were still fast asleep. 

Brady woke up again at 2 but I took him back to his bed and told him to lay down. I figured since I was already up that I would just take Abigail to the bathroom. She was soooo thirsty and drank an entire sippy of water. While I refilled it, she went back to her room to get in bed. Before I even walked in, I heard her crying. There she was, crumpled at the foot of Brady's bed just bawling. It was as if she was mourning the death of a loved one. She gets like that though when she's tired so I figured she was confused. I thought that she'd accidentally tried to lay on Brady's mattress and thought that Brady somehow had stolen her bed. So I explained to her that he was in his bed and she was free to crawl in hers. Nope. That wasn't the issue. She was not at all confused. She knew exactly what was going on and was devastated by the situation. "Mom! No! I don't want Brady to sleep in my room!!!  He keeps waking me up!  I don't want him to wake me up in the morning! No! Just have him sleep somewhere else! He can sleep in my room another night! Not tonight!!!"  I felt so bad for her. It's true, he's woken her up at 6:30 and at 7 and those are not hours she likes to see. Me neither to be honest but it was 2am and I needed Abigail to just take one for the team. I explained to her about when she was 3.5 and stopped sleeping in a crib but was too scared to sleep by herself so she slept in Brady's room next to his crib and she used to wake him up in the morning all the time and it made him cry. As I was explaining this (which is way more complex than what my brain usually goes at 2am), I was humored by how exactly the tables have turned. It's literally the exact same situation. Once I explained it, she was 100% okay with it. I told Brady I would lock him in his room if he woke Abigail up again and had Abigail ask Brady to please not wake her up. So Brady agreed and they both went to sleep. 

At 4:30 I was up feeding Elizabeth so I took Abigail to the bathroom again (because she downed two sippy cups of water at 2am and I didn't want to push my luck) and the kids were doing fine... and even synchronizing their sleep positions. Also, this is why I have to be extra diligent about taking Abigail to the bathroom and putting her back on the mattress. I'm not into middle of the night carpet cleaning. 

I didn't dare touch Brady though because he's not an insanely deep sleeper like Abigail. 

I decided it was best to leave him as is. 

Elizabeth woke up at 8:30, which is a pretty typical time for her. I cracked my door and saw that Abigail and Brady were both fast asleep. Sweet!  And then I became a captive in my own guest room because I didn't want to wake either of them by sneaking downstairs. So Elizabeth and I just hung out in the guest room for the next HOUR AND A HALF. Because Abigail and Brady didn't wake up til 10 o clock. I saw Abigail stir a bit and then a few minutes later Brady woke up and started talking. So neither woke the other up and they were bff this morning as a result of it. Hallelujah! 

We even made it to church early (chris made a comment later today about how I left the blender dirty this morning instead of cleaning it right away. I pointed to the kids' dirty oatmeal bowls as well and said "do you appreciate how much more punctual I am now than when we got married?" He said yes but that he didn't really think about it anymore... Which is a good thing because it's just not much of an issue anymore because I'm so much improved. I explained "yeah, years ago, I would have chosen to clean the blender and the bowls and the kitchen and just be late somewhere. I would have put the blender back perfectly but probably been ten minutes late to church because I would have also taken more time to do my makeup. Now, I leave dirty dishes and dirty blenders and skip all makeup other than mascara so that I can be early to church with my family without having to stress and rush out the door. I do that for you."  I hope he realizes how much I still have to work at it and that it an ongoing expression of my love for him.)

The kids fight over who gets to sit next to Abigail. They also fight about who's head gets to be closest to hers. 

Chris helped with blessing the sacrament. I left as soon as he sat down.  And I spent the entire sacrament meeting in the mothers lounge nursing Elizabeth and then letting her fall asleep before I put her in her car seat. I didn't want to take her back to sacrament meeting and have the kids wake her up immediately after sitting down. 

I was sitting on the floor because our mother's lounge only has two chairs. And being in a maxi skirt, it made sense for me to let other people sit in the real chairs. 

Also, here's a random vent for mothers of young children... Don't change nasty poopy diapers in the mothers lounge. Take that crap to a changing table in an actual bathroom. I get that there's a changing table in the mothers lounge, but save that for wet diapers or newborn poop. My newest friend named Sara (because I can't get enough of friends named sara(h) even though I have a ton) and I were both in there nursing babies, when in walks a mother and her son who looked to be about 2.5 or so. She pulls down the changing table thing and changes a nasty diaper requiring at least four wipes. Tosses it in the pail and walks out. Meanwhile Sara and I were struggling to even breath. It's a small room and the window doesn't even open. I thought it was common sense not to do that, but I guess not.  So not only were we suffocating, but the little boy was rambunctious enough in the process to distract Sara's baby so she quit nursing and wouldn't continue. And while I'm ranting... If there are bags, bag your baby's diaper. Because that nastiness is penetrating. I'm not going to pretend my baby's poops smells like roses (outkast anyone?) and you shouldn't either. 

Sorry to sound harsh but I think some people just must not know (I'm assuming this lady didn't because she didn't even apologize or acknowledge it at all) and I'm here to save lives. Since Sara and I almost lost ours. ; ) 

Also, in case you were wondering... I'm a southerner. And the mothers lounge is really boring when you're by yourself and don't have sacrament meeting to listen to anymore. 

Anyways, I dropped a screaming Brady off at nursery (apparently his crying lasted for 10 minutes until they said "we'll go get your mom if you can play quietly with toys for five minutes... And then he was golden) and enjoyed most of second hour with my honey until Elizabeth got fussy enough that I took her back to the mother's lounge. She'd slept for 50 minutes but then just had enough gas that she couldn't put herself back to sleep. Even my friend sitting in front of us turned around at one point and was all "was that her?!" after one of Elizabeth's louder toots. That's seriously one of the only things that'll make her fussy at all... Toots and burps. 

Sooo, I took her back to the mothers lounge which was a happening party. Kylee, Larissa, Rochelle, and Sara was back there again to try nursing her daughter (since she was hungry already from not finishing nursing before) so I parked myself on the floor again. I changed Elizabeth's diaper and let her kick a bit and then nursed her some more and let her fall asleep again. I was going to try to catch the last 20 minutes of RS, but I'd already left sacrament and Sunday school early and didn't want to go to RS late only to have to leave that early too. So I stayed in the mothers lounge with Larissa since we were the only two left at that point. Previously though is talked to Rochelle about her baby and I've gotta say again how grateful I am for an easy baby this time around. Her little girl jovi is like how Brady was. Even the short time that she was in there, jovi was screaming waiting for Rochelle to mix up another few ounces of formula and then screaming after the bottle was done and screaming even after being wrapped in in a blanket and bounced around. I told her I felt for her. She was all "I literally have to wear her in a moby all day long" and I told her about how Brady lived in his car seat. She was like "oh my gosh I remember you always swimming his car seat! Even when he was really old!"  I'm all "ummm, yup, the handle is actually cracked now because yeah, lots of caraway swinging that first year of life."  

We came home and both kids were still loving each other. Also, yes, I know Brady's tie doesn't match. I didn't pick it. 

I need to get more used to this part of having kids. Passing by the upstairs bathroom to find a half eaten banana on the toilet and three starbursts arranged in a triangle on the corners of the bath mat and a glow stick placed nearly in the middle. Whaaaat? I'm guessing that's why it took Abigail so long to go potty. Don't worry, she eventually cleaned up the starbursts, a kid threw away the glow stick, and I saw Brady eating that banana sometime this afternoon. It's all cleaned up now. ; ) 

Brady napped in his room for over two hours. All I had to do was sit in his glider while he fell asleep. Then I took a nap of our own. Like many other Sundays, Abigail was the only one not napping but she played nicely in her room for quiet time. 

My nap was glorious. I thought I heard elizabeth starting to stir and it was past time for her to wake up anyways so I got her up and fed her. Both kids were doing well together again and I was in a great mood from my nap. 

We decided to take a family walk, but the rain had picked up again so we did a puzzle and hung out for a bit. 


This is an acceptable position for working on a puzzle I guess. 

This is what Abigail calls a "baby hug" and she explains it to me every time she does it... As if I haven't heard that explanation from her fifty times before. ; ) It's cute. 

So much sisterly love. 

I asked Brady to clean up the puzzle (I think Abigail left to go potty or something) and he was all "yeah!" and then cleaned it up so carefully. It always makes me happy when a kid listens and helps out cheerfully the first time they're asked, but this was just especially precious. It was adorable. 

Abigail gave him a hug and said thank you for cleaning up their puzzle. 

And it lasted so long that Brady started to panic about the choke hold. 

They finished cleaning up together. 

And then we went on our family walk all around the neighborhood. It was perfect. Everything was fresh and beautiful from the rain and the temperature and breeze felt amazing and the air smelled of summer rain showers and it was just great. I loved being able to take elizabeth on a walk outside where she didn't have to be bundled up like crazy or covered from the sun with a blanket. She just snoozed in the breeze and then woke up for the last bit of it.

I fed her inside while the kids ate and got ready for bed and then put her down and sat with in Brady's glider while he fell asleep on his "little bed."  I even got him a new binky for the occasion since he'd bit through his other one. These molars were coming up so fast initially but now that they're half way broken through, they seem to have slowed down and not made much progress in the last two days. 

It'll be nice when it's not so bad for him. He can stop being so attached to me and maybe start loving chris again. ; ) 

Let's all cross our fingers for a great night of sleep tonight and even more importantly... a late start tomorrow morning. ; ) 

No comments: