Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Crib climbing

We've been waiting for a while for this and the day has finally come...







Around 9...

Around 10...

We only stayed at the pool from 9:30 til 2 today. Mostly I'm worried about all the sun my kids are getting. Also, I'm getting worn out rubbing them (and myself) down with sunscreen every hour of the day. It worked out well though because it started thundering around 3 or so so it's not like we could've stayed much longer anyways. 

Brady keeps telling me his teeth don't hurt... But the fact that he chews on everything and wants me to hold him all the time and wants nothing to do with chris and screams about going to sleep and cries when he wakes up from sleeping... I'm gonna have to call his bluff. 

Last night he screamed about going to sleep. SCREAMED. Honey held him while I finished up with Elizabeth and then I had to hold him and rock him to sleep and then transfer him to his crib and then sing to him more and holy cow, it was a bit of an ordeal. 

For some reason, I thought nap time today would be fine. I'm not sure why I thought that... Maybe I'm just thinking extra optimistically? I'm not sure. Anyways, it went like last night. Well... It was going like last night and there I was texting honey about it when... I hear the fan and the door open and in walks Brady while I'm holding Elizabeth and about to read books to Abigail on her loveseat before quiet time. I didn't even try to out him back. I could have except that Elizabeth wanted to be held, which really doesn't happen often but happened to be happening at this moment in time. 

I read Abigail her books, left her and Brady to play and enjoy quiet time together, and then held Elizabeth and then semi fell asleep with her on my lap until honey texted me about dinner sometime around 4:15. 

Totally unrelated to this post, but I have to say that I'm quickly becoming obsessed with the grilled shrimp appetizer at Texas Roadhouse. Holy cow I feel like it gets better and better each time we go. Also, my steak was cooked a perfect medium this time. That was special. 

We came home, I fed Elizabeth, we got the kids ready for bed (after dressing Brady up like a girl and doing a million different hairstyles on him... that'll need its own post) and I tried putting brady in his crib... But he kept climbing out as soon as I walked out. Honey and I hid out in the guest room and Brady would just walk into Abigail's room and read books with her. Eventually Elizabeth and I snuck downstairs without him seeing and went to Walmart. That was around 8pm... Honey was on his own... I'm not sure of the details because he is a man of few words, but maybe I'll get more of the story tomorrow. 

When I pulled in the garage around 10 (yes, I took my sweet time at Walmart and stopped by Home Depot too to check out their baby door lock options), I was texting honey and he said Brady had stayed in his crib. So that was humorous to me when I went upstairs later to charge my phone and saw Brady's bedroom door half open. I figured honey had left it that way to help Brady stay in his crib... Also, I could tell that the closet door was wide open (because the light was shining so brightly) and figured that was part of the agreement too. Well, I poked my head in to see Brady sleeping and... I only found an empty crib. So I looked all around his room and closet and determined he wasn't there. I thought maybe chris had let Brady climb in bed with him except I remembered that chris had been awake when I pulled in the garage and was unloading groceries and I would have seen Brady if he came downstairs during that time after chris had fallen asleep. So I checked Abigail's room. Sure enough. 


The first time I checked, Abigail was still on her bed (my phone was dead so I didn't take a picture) and when I came back a bit later, she was like this and I wondered how long it would be until she kicked Brady in the head. 

So I checked again after I'd fed Elizabeth...

And again and again. 



And whoooops... I woke Brady up. I'm so used to going in Abigail's room and being however loud I want because I can't get her to wake up even when I want her to. I was slightly quieter because of Brady, but not too careful... As if the room itself held magical deep sleeping powers. 

So he popped his head up as I rushed out of the room. He ran right out to me and to his room while asking "what're you doing, mom?" So I told him I was taking him to his crib. I lifted him up and put him in, he requested his songs, I sang, and he was asleep by the time I was done singing. I turned his closet light on again and then tip toes out and shut his bedroom door. That was lucky. I wonder how much of tonight he'll even remember in the morning. Also, I'm so curious how morning will go. If he'll cry for me or if he'll just climb out. Who knows. 

Now I'm just wondering where we should go from here. Turn the door handles around and lock him in his room or just out his toddler bed in Abigail's room and hope they do okay? Also, not great timing since we're headed out of town soon.  I'm wondering if this will also translate to pack n plays. He can probably climb out of those too. Hmmm... Any suggestions? His sleep situation last year at the beach was a nightmare so I was kinda looking forward to this year being a bit better. I just keep thinking about a few years ago when lucy climbed out of her pack n play at the beach and Marianne and Andrew were completely surprised and all "what are we supposed to do now?!"  

Because that's me. Ha. 

No comments: