Tuesday, June 30, 2015

It's our 9 to 5

Our pool trips are like me realizing a life long dream. I remember spending allll day, every day at the pool during my summers as a kid. I remember bringing my kid national geographic magazines and summer reading books to keep me occupied while I soaked up the sun for hours on end. And I remember getting raw sores on the balls of my toes from gripping the rough floor of the pool all day long. 

I also remember moms being there with their young kids and thinking about how awesome they had it. Now, I'm that mom. And it is still awesome. Even more so than I'd anticipated. 

Last night I made sandwiches and cut up watermelon. I packed all of the granola bar/crackers/goldfish type food in a bag and went ahead and set out the cooler bag that I would be putting my tupperwares of watermelon, ice packs, and bottle of milk in. I already had the snap n go stroller in the back of my car (assembled, because it actually fits that way!) with our bag of pool toys, towels, and food bag in the basket.  I had the blender out and ready for my morning smoothie and I even had the oats poured in a bowl so I could just add water and microwave to make the kids' breakfast. I don't think I've ever been more prepared for anything in my life. ; )  It made this morning a breeze... Which came in handy since I didn't get out of bed til 8:45 and I had to nurse Elizabeth before we left so that I could be in the pool with Brady during the swim lesson. 

We got there right at 9:30 for the swim lesson and it went better than yesterday having me participate with the kids. Also, I felt like it was more worth it time wise because I was able to do things with Brady while the instructor did things with Abigail. And I encouraged my kids to do stuff like blow bubbles and whatever when the instructor was helping the other girl in their class. Elizabeth hung out just fine in her car seat/stroller in the shade. A million times a day I think to myself "hallelujah this easy kid thing is amazing!" And I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. I am so so grateful she is not difficult like Brady was. I'm forever humbled by my experience with that boy as a newborn.  Anyways, swim class was good. They practiced blowing bubbles out of their mouth and nose and doing a starfish float on their back. And blowing out while being dunked under water. 

Class ended at ten and right after, Tracy arrived with her two kids and then 30 minutes later, Kerra arrived with her four girls, so it was a pretty instant party. We played for a few hours until they went home. And maybe 10 minutes after they'd left, Jennie and summer showed up so it couldn't have been more perfect. I love talking to Jennie. I knew her in previous summers but this is the first time we've actually gotten to know each other. Since I packed so much food, we just stayed all day. 

Like literally allll day. Elizabeth slept for several hours, ate when she woke up, fountain puked the whole thing immediately after. It was awesome to be outside when that happened so it could just puddle on the ground and be rinsed off later with a water squirter. Also, I changed her onesie since hers was soaked and when she was in just a diaper, I was able to wash off her body easily with the water fountain. Perfect that the mechanism to turn it on could be easily held with my hip. It really was as optimal as possible. So then I got her in a new onesie and out her in her car seat babe hung out for at least 45 minutes or so before drifting off. I love that she's so content to just sit there and look around and that she just dozed off whenever she feels like it. Very self sufficient of her for a newborn.  

We got home around 5:15 or so. And that was after dragging my kids out of there. I would have been happy staying even later except that I didn't want to put sunscreen on us all again... I feel like that's all we do sometimes. But of course when we pulled in the driveway, Abigail saw lucy and kalia and Presley playing with the slip n slide. So Abigail and brady went over there and did that for a few minutes before they turned it off and played sidewalk chalk for a long time. Honey got home soon after we did so we just hung out on the driveway in our lawn chairs. 

Brady lives to check on Elizabeth which involves throwing open the blanket, which makes her squirm with the bright light. So then he either declares that she's awake and starts poking and playing with her or he hears her grunts and squeaks that she does and declares her fussy and covers her back up. Ha. 


Abigail picked us all flowers when she came back home so she walked in the door and excitedly told us that she had flowers for us all. One for daddy, Elizabeth, Brady, and me. And of course she picked one for herself. It was already cute that she made sure to pick one for everyone but even cuter when she handed them out to us all and cuter still when I walked into the guest room and saw that Elizabeth ha had her flower delivered to her already. She was as into it as a one month old could be. Also, she seems to be getting longer. 

Abigail ate while I held Brady nor did his fair share of crying because he didn't want his food and then his lips hurt and then he wanted Abigail and then needed me to hold him and on and on. Eventually I held him on my lap and fed him every bite of his dinner. The boy is a wuss when it comes to teething and these two year molars are hard on him (I will say though that they look horribly painful, especially with how far they're coming up) and I... I'm soaking it up. I'm cottling him horribly and hopefully not spoiling him for life. Ha. The downside is that he only wants me and not chris. So I'm the only one that can help him get dressed or brush his teeth or feed him dinner or get him a drink or put him to bed without him having major issues about it. I mean, chris still did some of that stuff for him tonight but it almost sent Brady into more tears. I held the boy after I fed Elizabeth, during his whole dinner, the whole time honey read books for bedtime... And I put him to bed. And when he cries shortly after and only wanted me, he sat with chris okay while he waited for me to finish swaddling Elizabeth and then requested that I hold him more. I rocked him to sleep in his glider and then sang him more songs when I transferred him to his crib. He's like a sick cuddly kid except better because I don't have to worry about him being contagious. Honey put Elizabeth to bed and once again... I love that she hangs out just fine and then drifts her little self off to sleep. It never gets old for me. 

Emmy called right after I got out of Brady's room and we talked for 20 minutes until I had to get in the shower. I love night time showers during the summer. They're really hitting the spot for me lately. A lot of things are really hitting the spot for me lately. 

In case you were wondering... I'm still soooo grateful to be feeling happy. Every day it's just exciting for me. I love that I love my kids again and I wake up excited for our day together. Thank goodness because we've all been waking up before 8:30 most mornings which is pretty early for us. But... bring it on, because I love my days again. ; ) 

No comments: