Sunday, June 28, 2015

One month old

At one month, 

Elizabeth is an awesome napper and sleeps for hours on end during the day... Like 3-4. At night, her longest stretch is always first. At least 4.5 hours, but her best yet has been 8 hours and 15 minutes. The next stretch is normally 3.5 hours and then 2.5 hours, getting up for the day around 8. She eats quickly during the night and is asleep within 8-10 minutes. We get it done and don't mess around. She falls asleep on her own without crying. Unless I can't bear to put her down because she's so precious... Then she drifts off in my arms or lap. ; ) But mostly she just puts herself to sleep in her Moses basket. I double swaddle her with the miracle blanket and a velcro swaddle blanket. 

Elizabeth is a happy, chill baby but doesn't like the hiccups or being gassy (who does?!) and will fuss and cry out during feeding sometimes because of that. But once it's resolved, she's content to hang out in her bouncer or laying in a blanket or something without being held. 

Elizabeth reminds me so much of Abigail. She looks like Abigail and has expressions like Abigail. She also has similarities to Abigail like blowouts when she poops (although Elizabeth only poops once every three days for the most part), eating super fast (normally less than five minutes per side), refusing to suck when she's not hungry, not needing a binky, taking super long naps and rarely accepting a feeding less than four hours after the last. 

She's basic and easy and blissfully amazing. People have asked a lot about how the transition to three kids is going. I tell them that I think the transitions depend more on the temperament of the newborn than how many kids you have. Because I've only struggled when Brady was my newborn. Abigail and Elizabeth have made me feel like a super mom even though I know I can't take any credit... It's just that I have an easy baby. It doesn't stop people from commenting though about how fast I've gotten back into things like going to church and taking the kids to the pool by myself. It's just because Elizabeth is so flexible with it and so predictable so far.

Who knows how long this will all last so I'm milking it for all its worth. I'm loving the newborn stage more this time around than with the previous two. Definitely more than I did with Brady (because holy cow that was horrific) but also more than I did with Abigail and I'm not sure why. Maybe because I have older kids and I appreciate even more now how fleeing this stage really is? Either way, I'm taking more time this time around to just hold my baby when I want to and not feel like I have to worry as much about setting a sleep schedule or installing proper sleep habits or whatever. 

I'm just loving it. All of it. This little girl is straight from heaven. I can't believe it's been a month. Because it feels like she was just born yesterday but because it also feels like she's been a part of our family forever. Our three kids right now feel so perfect like this was always how it was supposed to be. Abigail and brady are so obsessed with Elizabeth and it even feels like their friendships has grown and strengthened since Elizabeth was born. I'm so excited to see these three develop and it makes me so excited to add even more to our little bunch. 

I'm so grateful I get to be a mother to this precious little girl. One month down, eternity to go. 


No comments: