Wednesday, July 18, 2012

my child is addicted to screen time

my kid is addicted to screen time.  the only purpose of honey's blackberry is to "watch chooch" (is it dootch?! we actually don't know what she's trying to say but we know it means clifford because if you give her curious george she will give it back for you like you're an idiot and clarify like you have only two brain cells that she wants to "watch ruff").  and the purpose of our tv is to "watch babies" (we only own one video, baby einstein, that someone gave it to us).  and the purpose of my computer is to basically watch anything on earth that comes to her mind.  popular requests are "watch abigail" of course, "watch pool/baby beach/baby pool", and various combinations of baby stuff.  watch baby eat, watch baby nap, watch baby milk... what?!  we watch a lot of weird you tube videos.  i used to just be able to google pictures of newborns and she would love life but now she thinks every picture is just a thumbnail for a video.  so on my facebook newsfeed the other day she saw a picture of honey's brother.  "that's john!  that's john!  i want to watch john!" and i had to explain to her that it was just a picture... no video attached.  

tonight i had my computer open to skype with mom and my sister, emmy.  baby girl was being kinda rotten tonight (which i guess is expected and kinda my own fault since we didn't leave the house at all today) and whining loudly "watch abigail!  watch abigail!" sooo, she got half of my screen and i got the other half.  it worked pretty well and she was always very diligent about letting me know when she needed a new video of herself.



also, tonight i experienced somewhat of a trial of integrity as i held strong every single time honey begged me "ppppllllllllleeeeaaaassssseeeeee can't we just lie about her age?!  she's sooo small!  and they never ask us for documentation!"  hahahahaha honey NO.  so we both shared this very painful and growing experience for us...


my little baby is growing up.

and just so we don't end the post on a downer note, i will say that the first half of my day was excellent!  at 11, i got baby girl out of her crib and we came downstairs, opened the door, and in walked my dear friend tarin who i was in young womens with in atlanta!  and she brought her two kids and we just had a grand old time hanging out and eating cinnamon rolls and cherries.  and then i was all worn out and took a nap and my night was pretty good but not fabulous and it included a dilemma about a future trip to hungary that will probably need to be blogged about at a later date and a lot of money spent on three plane tickets to atlanta for emmy's wedding (YEAY!!!!).  oh, and lasagna that actually turned out really well.  that part was a success so let's end on that note.  

and goodnight!

2 comments:

ok said...

Please take video of your child asking to watch "baby beach." I love her little voice - it has been way too long since I heard it!

Lyndel said...

Sounds like you guys had an awesome day! Glad you and tarin and the babies got to all hang out.