Thursday, October 21, 2010

binge and purge

at three months of age, my child seems to be exhibiting bulimic tendencies.  should i be worried about this?

monday, she was in her fifth outfit by 11am.  tuesday, she was in her fourth outfit by 2:30.  yesterday, let's see...  blue sleeper, spider onesie, yellow stripes, brown shirt, and snail onesie.  she was in her fifth outfit by 5:15.  and with the exception of the blue sleeper, these outfits were trashed.  like completely drenched from multiple spitups.  the brown shirt outfit was on her for less than 20 minutes and it had been spit up on at least six times (that i counted).  the last one just did it in.  i had to strip her and wipe her down after that one.  seriously.  you can't even see how wet the sleeves are because they're white, but let me tell you that they were soaked because normally baby keeps her hands up by her grill so many times, they get the brunt of the spit up.

hot, right?
so i changed her into her cute polka dotted snail onesie that used to be white but is now a precious shade of pink.  i snapped her snaps, pulled up her pink socks, and picked her up off the changing table.  and as i was dangling her in the air and professing my love for her, she projectile vomited all over the place.  right then and there.  on herself, the changing table, my shirt, the floor, and in between my toes.  this outfit was fresh for maaaybe 8 seconds.  luckily though, since she was dangling, it didn't get too wet and in my books, did not require an outfit change.

well, today she wore at least different outfits and spent some time in the nude (well, not totally nude... she did still have a diaper on) and managed 3 outfit changes tonight within the space of an hour.  she was even wearing a bib part of the time! 

granted not EVERY outfit change is due to spitup though.  some is just plane drool and there are also very frequent blowouts due to explosive poop and skinny legs.  at any given moment you can bet baby's bottom there's gonna be SOMETHING coming out SOMEWHERE.  i'm 100% convinced this is why she's so skinny... my baby knows how to binge and purge.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh that looks like fun. i was going to suggest bibs to save the outfits, but looks like you've tried that.
Maybe she's teething?

Jenna said...

Addison did that too...so that I didn't have to do her laundry every single day, I invested in many bibs. Then I would just soak the bibs, use dreft stain remover, and then wash every few days (cutting the laundry down). This way, you can save the outfits more for any future little gals. =) Good luck!!!

Lauren and Josh said...

Hey Carrie! Ok, I guess I'm totally out of the loop because I didn't know you had a baby girl! Congratulations! She is adorable! Did you know that we had a baby girl too? She is 7 months old today...it looks like they are about 4 months apart. :) Hope you guys are doing well!

Anonymous said...

I hated having to get used to the fact that both my child and I would smell like spit up for the first six moths of their life. I used the bibs or they are always naked. LoL Cason didn't have a big problem like Adalie because he was on acid refulx meds and that helped a lot. Maybe something your eating?? Having never been able to breast feed, that is my suggestion for the problem....but keep in mind, babies vomit almost an average or 3 tablespoons a day. =) Gross right??

Jeff said...

I'd be surprised if Abby's not having some reflux issues. I have suggestions if you would like.

Karen said...

My little Hunter spits up everything he eats, poops out the rest and weighs 16 lbs at 3 months. Who knows how he is gaining so much weight. Bibs are pointless in his case. The spit up lands everywhere but the bib.