Tuesday, October 19, 2010

safeway, sara(h), names, and golden oreos

you know what else really bothered me over the weekend?  friday afternoon, baby girl and i went to walgreens, rite aid, walmart, and cvs.  i brought my reusable shopping bag in each place knowing i was only getting a thing or two and i didn't want to end up with six plastic bags when i already have a million at home.  well not a single one of the cashiers took advantage of this!  i mean, i had my bag with me and they scanned my item and shoved it in a plastic bag.  like a whole plastic bag for a thing of toothpaste.  that's unnecessary.  especially when i clearly and politely stated, I HAVE MY OWN BAG WITH ME.  four for four fail.  and somehow i ended up with more than four bags even though i only went to four places.  i'm still not sure how that worked out...

so today when baby girl and i were at safeway, i had a huge cart full of groceries and a couple of coupons and i decided i wanted a cashier that would do the job right.  i always try to find something that looks like a native english speaker (i know you're judging me right now and i don't even care) but today i was especially looking for someone friendly and competent.  i even waited in a longer line for this very reason.  i'm not sure why, but i don't mind waiting in grocery lines.  other lines i get very impatient, but not when i'm waiting to buy groceries.  that's irrelevant.  anyways, it helped that baby girl was sleeping.  she's started sleeping again sometimes while we're out, but only if we're doing something boring like shopping at safeway.  church is too exciting, as is walmart.

okay, so the whole time sandoval (he spoke perfect english and was even wearing a crisp white button down shirt with a pink tie) what scanning my groceries he was cheerfully telling me about his daughter (although he did say that her first six months were easily the hardest thing he's ever done in his life.  i never really know what to say to that...) and it was honestly refreshing.  except that he forgot one of my coupons (i had them all laid out for him) but he happily scanned it when i pointed it out for him.  he used my reusable bags that i'd brought and packed them well too.  does anyone else have a problem with this... i swear at least one of the coupons didn't scan.  but how do you really know because receipts are about as easy to interpret as the rosetta stone.  oh well.  i still managed to walk away happy.  maybe because i saved $38 off my total.  but probably because i bought a $100 of delicious things to eat.

i've been overwhelmed/discouraged lately by my unhealthy eating habits.  this actually means something because everyone i ever lived with in college agreed that i was the most unhealthy eater they'd ever met.  when i lived with amanda k one summer while i was home from byu, she told me that without the maycock genes, i would be severely obsese.  and she wasn't exaggerating.  she's a nurse and was constantly appalled by my eating habits.  anyways, i was on the phone today with my blogging sister and i told her that i've decided real life for me will start in june when honey graduates.  we'll probably move to colorado and buy a house.  probably buy real furniture for the first time in our lives.  probably buy a second car.  probably do a bunch more things that for me signify real life.  real life = nonstudent life just in case you were wondering.  for me, if you have a two car garage, you're living real life.  everyone has their own definition though.  my dad once told me that for him and my mom is was having orange juice, ice cream, and one other thing i can't remember right now all in the fridge/freezer at the same time.  for them that meant that they were rich.  it's all relative.

so that will be quite the lifestyle change from right now for a million and one reasons.  for that reason, i decided i should start taking baby steps towards living my rich real life.  that's why when i was at safeway today i turned down some unhealthy choices and bought healthier things instead... even if they cost a little more.  i know a few dollars isn't much for most people but I HATE SPENDING MONEY so it's a huge deal for me.  even when we can totally afford things, i have a hard time parting with the money.  BUT while i was at the store today i bought heart healthy bisquick (the other stuff has transfat), pillsbury simply biscuits (no transfat or artificial stuff), real butter (instead of margarine) for baking, the least unhealthy of the margarine choices (i would give up margarine altogether except that i strongly prefer the taste to butter and yes, i know that's weird), applesauce without high fructose corn syrup, and a number of other healthy/ier foods.  i also got light sour cream, lowfat yogurt for my granola, and cottage cheese with added fiber.  and in the name of protein, i got new york strip (on super sale for $3) and made it for dinner tonight.... just for me.  honey had stuff going on.  so i enjoyed mexican squash and steak all by myself.  it was delish.  oh yeah, and i got vegetables and a few avocados since they were on sale too.  i got so much stuff.  i bet my receipt is longer than baby girl.

oh yeah, umm, tonight i was on facebook chat with my friend sarah who i've never met although i've blog stalked her for about a year now, and i had to explain to her that "baby girl" is not a blog nickname.  that's what i call my child.  i try to occasionally call her abigail but really, i'm not very good at it.  same with honey.  when i use his name, i call him christopher.  but that's really only in public.  when i blog i pretty much just write word for word what goes through my head with additional details from time to time for clarification.  that also explains the terrible grammar.

when i was in georgia a week ago, i was with the great-sara-snow-who-loves-to-type and jill, the sister of sarah-who-i've-never-met-before (referred to on my blog list as cory's sister... but her hilarious blog is private which is actually the reason we're not-yet-met friends now.  after stalking her for a year i could either give up or admit to her that i stalk her and as non-sketchily as possible, as her for an invite).  both girls said they'd read my blog before (which was funny because my best friend rachel was there and she's never read it... but then again, my honey doesn't read it either...) which kind of made me feel like a celebrity because they're pretty cool girls in my opinion.  well, as i was taking a picture of my dad with baby girl, i found myself trying to get her attention by saying "baby girl!  look over here!  baby... baby... baby girl!  over here!"   and then i thought crap!  they're going to know now that i really do call my child baby girl!  so then i think i awkwardly tried to incorporate "abigail" into my vocab for the night.  so anyways, let this be another thing where i feel i just need to come clean and tell the truth.  24/7 around the clock, i call my child "baby girl" and "baby" for short.  honey does too.

and as for sara-the-great-who-loves-to-type and cory's-sister-sarah-who-i've-never-met-before...  they get clarification names for the sake of not requiring anyone to think too hard.  i have five blogging sara(h)s.  it just makes sense.  if i'm not clear enough on the blog, i get a call from my non-blogging sister jeff (just kidding, it's actually liza's husband who's named jeff and for some reason liza likes to comment under that name) and have to explain it all to her.  this way is just easier.

oh my goodness i just remembered i bought two packages of golden oreos today (healthy right?  at least i had a coupon for buy on get one free) and i'm SO excited to eat them right now!  i wonder if they float the same as regular.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful random filled post! haha. Koodos for eating better, I will live my healthiness through you from now on. Enjoy the rich life for us for a while until we are able to join you in Colorado in 6 yrs or so. You know too many SArahs and I am pretty sure Adlaie never heard her real name until she was about 2 yrs old.

Sara said...

Hahaha! Walter just told me this weekend that "baby girl" is the name you really use for Abigail. I don't think he likes it. :)

Also, about healthy eating . . . It's really not that bad. I try to make healthy food taste unhealthy -- it's a challenge sometimes, but it's fun to see what you can come up with. Try eating salads with strawberries, Craisins, and poppyseed dressing. Mix some honey in with peanut butter and spread on a graham cracker -- it sort of tastes like those peanut butter sandwich Girl Scout cookies. Have some Nutella on a banana. Eat a lot of fruit. Make cookies or bread with applesauce and whole wheat flour.

Anyway, you get the idea . . .

Mary Mitchell said...

That post was super confusing, but thanks for the shout out. Maybe someday I will make my blog un-private. As soon as all the creepy people who left me comments are dead and gone.

Diana C. said...

you know what I love most about this post, it's that buying butter is on your healthy list. When I try to shop healthy I switch from butter to margarine. I love cooking with butter! Margarine is my "healthy" substitute....