Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Realizing a dream

I bought baby girl a little potty forever ago. Like back during the summer sometime. She was really exciting about using it and I was daydreaming of how great and fun this would be. Well, long story short, the next six months were filled with a whole lot of trying to potty but not actually making it happen.

What do you do when your bike desperately wants to go potty but sits on there time after time after time after time and always stands up and looks in and says "no pee pee? I want to go potty." Because I was at a loss. I tried every search I could think of but google failed me and only brought back stories of children that didn't want to potty train. I was so sick of my child never being able to earn her potty reward (a mini marshmallow). So I got her up from nap yesterday and when she saw me go to the bathroom she exclaimed "I wanna go potty too!!!" And sat down on her little potty. And tried and tried and we read book after book. Then I heard Brady crying downstairs so I made a new plan.

We spent the rest of the night hanging out in the kitchen diaperless, with a pink potty and a stack of books taller than Brady. I gave baby girl a sippy of egg nog mixed with milk and she chugged the whole thing. We read books on the potty and waited. Forty five minutes later it happened! We jumped and cheered and it felt so good to give baby girl those two tiny marshmallows (I would have given her fifteen if I thought that was a good idea). And then she ran back to her potty and sat down and said "I wanna go potty again!" Ha. So I gave her another sippy of egg nog to chug. It worked.

She went one more time (she'd actually stayed on her potty while Christopher and I sat down at the table for dinner) and it was adorable that during our prayer I heard her sweet little voice announce that she went potty. Sure enough! So now I'm hoping that this will give her a little more confidence going forward. We shall see.

Ps- my main motivation? She looks soooo cute in tiny little undies! You've never seen anything so cute in all your life!



No comments: