Thursday, January 10, 2013

airport run deja vu

you probably don't remember this horrific event in my life but unfortunately it's still seared in my mind.

today was my last day with my mother.  it was wonderful of course but then 2:45 rolled around and we were off to the airport.  mother gave brady part of a bottle and then used the google maps app on my phone (since we just returned my broken gps to costco yesterday) to guide us to the airport (i know i've been a million times but i still need help).  it worked great and was almost as awesome as my tomtom and mother and i raved about it the whole way there.  the kids were happy (baby girl) or sleeping (brady) and life was good.  i said goodbye to my mother (and part of me died inside... severe mourning) and set my home destination not thinking that there's like five different route options home.  well, i'll try to be short (i'm very unskilled at this) and just say that i realized it was trying to take me on the toll roads and i passed it up because i didn't feel like paying $10 just to get home.  then i drove to the middle of nowhere as i kept thinking it would just reroute me.

to be continued...

then things just started looking less and less familiar and more and more like rural kansas so after a few unsuccessful phone calls to get a hold of my honey, and then one where he said "i'm on a super important business call, are you okay? ....where are you?!  you're going west?!", i hung up and pulled off the highway and attempted to figure my life out.  baby girl (who had to skip her nap for this) started telling me she wanted to go home, brady started stirring and fussing, and i realized i was on colfax (which is not a friendly place for someone like me).  i called emmy to try to walk me through the google maps app but it wouldn't pull up when i was on the call so that didn't work and finally i got off the phone, gave brady the rest of his bottle (thank goodness for having a few ounces left!) and gave up on google maps.  i finally just opened safari and looked up the regular mapquest style directions on the web version of google maps and selected the no tolls option.  hallelujah.  and then i told baby girl we were going home!  (the whole time we were stopped she kept telling me we were at someone else's house and she wanted to go to abigail's house)  we were all thrilled!  except for brady who'd fallen back asleep thank goodness.  two minutes after i'd gotten back on the road, honey calls again.

honey: "where are you?"
me: "i'm headed towards 225."
honey: "are you on 70 west?"
me: "maybe.  that or colfax.  okay definitely colfax.  i'm at colfax and chambers."
honey: "k, you're only a few miles from 225."
me: "i know, i'm following mapquest directions on my phone."
honey: "yeah i'd say you've probably added 15 or so miles..."
me: "thanks honey, you're not helping."
honey: "and at least 25 minutes...  maybe more..."
me: "honey, you're still not helping."
honey: "yeah, you should have just stayed on 70 west because it would have just fed you into 225..."
me: "honey, stop."

and then i told him it was fine and done and our kids were content and contained in their carseats and i'm just happy to finally be on the right track home now.  so i dropped my mom off at 3:40, was finally on the right track home at 4:10, and pulled into the driveway at 5:00.  should i tell you we only live 40 minutes from the airport?

1 comment:

ok said...

I didn't even have to click on the link to know what you were talking about! (But I did anyway to make sure I knew what you were talking about...) How was it taking your Mom to the airport with TWO kids in the backseat instead of just one?