Sunday, February 16, 2014

Subbing sunbeams

I subbed Abigail's sunbeams class today. I think there are normally 8 kids in the class but there's a whole lot of sickness in these parts so there were only 5 kids today. Four girls and one boy. That little boy was by far the most obedient and best behaved. I actually felt bad for him because the girls were just all being so rambunctious and not cooperating at all. 

Anyways, Chris was subbing one of the teenager Sunday school classes second hour and then had elders quorum third hour so I had Brady with me the whole time. Also, I was asked to sub an hour before church and didn't get the chance to review the lesson at all and because of allergies, snacks aren't allowed. And the librarian gave me three packs of crayons (saying something like "you'll need lots because that class has a lot of kids in it!") but somehow only gave me two sheets of paper... Requiring me to tear them in thirds and try to think of excuses for every kid telling me that they want their own sheet of paper. ; ) 

Needless to say, it didn't go spectacularly well. 

The good news?  It went. 

At one point or another, all for girls (and maybe the boy? I can't remember) assumed this position. Abigail and another girl were both doing it towards the beginning of class. By the end I was just amused. Is this a "thing" or something?!

Abigail discovered that paper sticks to tongues. 

I had the kids color while I attempted to look through the lesson... Hich didn't work because Brady was super fussy and three year olds require constant help and attention... Even for coloring. 

We attempted a lesson for a bit. Which was mostly me yelling at the kids the the Holy Ghost speaks in a whisper. Brady was loud... The girls were louder. Several kids took turns plugging their ears. 

I gave up on the lesson and decided to have the kids color for the remaining 20 something minutes. It was chaos. 

So I decided to Abort! Abort! And just let the kids do whatever they wanted while I held Brady and fed him a banana. This plan worked best although it did make me nervous that people could look through the window in the door and see kids running in circles around the chairs. 

At one point, the most bossy girl ordered everyone to stand in corners. Those kids know to obey her!  They were completely still and silent. She reminded me of a pirate. 

We also played a Simon says game but it was the Holy Ghost says and you have to whisper it. The girls all boycotted this after the first three minutes. 

The boy wanted to play hide and seek. The girls hid. 

He found them pretty easily and then his mom came to get him... Signifying that I survived subbing sunbeams. I'm happy to help so long as no one is expecting anything too quality. Maybe I'll be a better sub one Brady is in nursery. 

And Abigail's take on it... 

On the way home, Christopher asked Abigail about her primary teacher today. "We didn't have a primary teacher today! But mommy was in primary and then I wanted her to come with me so she did!"  

Awesome, now I bet Abigail thinks this is a possibility for future weeks that I can just stay with her during all of church. She misses nursery. 

No comments: