Friday, February 28, 2014

The day of quilting

While I was getting ready, Abigail grabbed my phone for some pictures. I sometimes feel like she's supposed to be a college roommate or something sometimes. Complete with feet pictures. 

And the candid blow drying shot. 

My quilt is coming right along. We made block 11 and 12 (there was one for each month of the year) and figured out the best way to arrange them all and what kind of fabric options and border options and holy cow there are so many options when you quit following the pattern. At the quilt store you could purchase the finishing kit but I wasn't crazy about it and wanted to do something different. I'm glad my mother in law is up for helping me design my own way to finish it! 

Each month we got a little baggie with instructions and fabric. 

And then we would end up with a quilt block like the picture. 

I decided I didn't like white backing and of the black options, I like the darker "true black" the very best. 

After five or so hours of quilting, my mil took off to get Nate from school and Abigail said something like "can I dress up like a princess with all of the stuff that a princess has?"  A dress, wings (shhh, don't you dare tell her those aren't for a princess... Because it's precious), necklace, wand, light up shoes, a purple gel pen, a little naked Ariel doll, and probably more than I'm forgetting. 

Brady actually slept in til 11:30. I think that's some sort of record for him. It was perfect though because we were quilting like crazy and Abigail watched shrek because she had three stickers and in preparation for going to see the play on Saturday. Also, it was extra great because from 11:30 til 2:30 when we were quilting, Brady was screaming bloody murder unless I was holding him. Turns out, he is terrified of his grandma. Ha. Anyways, I put him down for nap as soon as my mil left and he slept from 2:45 until I woke him up at 5:15. As I woke him up, Abigail couldn't stop telling me what a great mother I was and how I was doing such a great job. I really do appreciate her sweet words. And Brady woke up just from the flash of me taking this picture. Abigail sleeps straight through Brady's screaming at night, even when I turn on all the lights to search for he binkies he's thrown overboard. These kids are night and day. 

My mil does the hard (and annoying) stuff like measuring and cutting fabric to size. I do the fun stuff like sew straight lines and watch a quilt form before my very eyes. 

Through it all I just keep thinking "quilting is soooo not my thing."  It is so incompatible with my children right now. That Brady needs to be held 24/7 and Abigail was obviously feeling neglected and almost near tears before I asked her why she was sad and we decided to play trains together. I'm just pushing through this and then I'll be done! And I'll add quilting to my list of "hobbies" aka "things I've done before."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey look! i'm acutally posting a comment instead of texting you:
did you have other roommates who took pictures of their feet? because i'm pretty sure you're the only roommate i had who took pictures of my butt regularly/ever. in fact i think you have a photo album of them on facebook.

Unknown said...

hey look! i'm acutally posting a comment instead of texting you:
did you have other roommates who took pictures of their feet? because i'm pretty sure you're the only roommate i had who took pictures of my butt regularly/ever. in fact i think you have a photo album of them on facebook.